FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pregnant sister

Rachy86
Community Member

Hi my name is Rachel and my sister is pregnant.

We are very close and she supports me alot as I have mental health issues.

I know things will change but I am afraid I am going to lose the relationship I have with my sister and because of this I feel I am not reacting to the news in the right way.

Also I feel I am not a great person so I don't know how I can contribute to helping another person. I know I don't want them to turn out like me. And because of this I am taking a step back from the whole situation which I don't want to do because I love my sister and I want to support her. But maybe it's better this way at least I won't screw it up.

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M
Hi Rachy86,   

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing with us. We understand that it's an uncertain time for you and it's understandable that you feel apprehension around these changes that are happening. Please know that you are not alone in feeling this way, having a new addition to the family can be anixety-provoking, it sounds like your inner-critic is giving you are hard time when you say that you are 'not a great person'. Life isn't perfect and often our best lessons and support come from those who have been through hardships so don't count yourself out because of your past stuggles.

Have you tried sharing your worries with your sister or someone close to you? You've mentioned you are close and we're sure they probably have similar worries in becoming a parent. The fact that you have these worries is a sign that you are putting the welfare of the baby first, which is a selfless thing to do.

We can hear you've taken a step back and it's important that you take the time you need to process these changes, please know we are always here to talk it through on the Beyond Blue Support Line 24/7 on 1300 22 4636, or through online chat. It’s ok to reach out when you’re feeling anxious or upset, they can talk you through some ways to find a bit of calm, and then help you to figure out some options for further support.

We’re sure we’ll hear from the lovely community soon, but in the meantime, here’s some strategies you might like to have a look at it. We understand you might have been through some of these in the past and it might feel like cold comfort right now, but they’re here in case they do pique your interest:  Thanks again for sharing. We’re here to listen and offer support, and you never know how your story might help someone else. 

Kind regards, 

Sophie M