FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

possible teenage pregnancy

sienpen
Community Member

I'm a teenager(as it says in the title aha), and yesterday I had Implanon put in. I've had to do two pregnancy tests already, but it was too early both times. I have to do one on 9/11/22 for accurate results according to the doctor but I'm really anxious about possibly being pregnant. I took an emergency contraceptive but I don't think it worked(it wasn't in my system long enough), and I couldn't afford another one.

I'm really not in a position where I want to be dealing with this due to my current mental state, and how being pregnant could change the medication I'm on which has been helping me a bit more stable and sleep easier recently.

I also struggle with substance use and I'm honestly scared that whether I keep the pregnancy or not, I'm gonna lose control in that area as well.

I'm really scared and I honestly don't know why I'm writing this, but I was hoping for some advice maybe or just general comfort, and to get it out of my system. Or possibly other people's experiences and how it went? Thank you for reading this, I hope you're all alright 

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hey sienpen,

Welcome back to the Forums. Thank you for your bravery and openness in sharing here. We're sorry you're feeling really anxious about possibly being pregnant. It sounds like you've taken some really great steps in going to the doctor, well done for sorting that out. We're glad you could share your worries here, too.

If you’d like to talk any of this through, please remember there are a few places you can reach out to anytime who’d be really happy to talk with you. There’s our lovely Support Service team, on 1300 22 4636 or online. There’s also our friends over at KidsHelpline on 1800 55 1800, and Headspace on 1800 650 890– we’ve heard great things about each of these services.

We hope that is helpful. Feel free to come back to your thread whenever you feel comfortable, we’re here to listen.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Athenaclinic123
Community Member

Teenage pregnancy refers to a situation in which a female teenager, typically between the ages of 13 and 19, becomes pregnant. While I can provide general information about teenage pregnancy, it's important to note that I don't have access to real-time data, and the information I provide is based on the knowledge available up until September 2021.

Teenage pregnancy rates can vary based on cultural, social, and economic factors. However, it is worth mentioning that efforts have been made in many countries to reduce the rate of teenage pregnancies through comprehensive sex education, access to contraception, and support systems for young parents.

If you suspect that you or someone you know may be facing a teenage pregnancy, it's important to seek appropriate medical advice and support. Consulting with healthcare professionals, such as doctors, nurses, or counselors, can provide guidance on the options available and help ensure the well-being of the pregnant teenager.

Additionally, there are numerous organizations and resources that offer support to pregnant teenagers, including counseling services, educational programs, and assistance with healthcare and parenting. These resources can provide valuable information and emotional support during what can be a challenging time.

Remember, it's crucial to approach this topic with sensitivity and understanding, as teenage pregnancy can have significant implications for the individuals involved.

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi sienpen,

I can hear how stressed you are in your words and I’m sorry you are feeling that way. There need to be a number of factors for you to be pregnant, including ovulating and successful implantation by a sperm. So the fact that the emergency contraceptive may not have worked to its full potential does not automatically mean you are pregnant. But even if in the worst case scenario you are pregnant, there are steps you can take to deal with this. There is the option of a termination which is a day procedure that can be conducted early during your pregnancy. You don’t need to make any decisions right now on anything, I would just wait until you can get an accurate pregnancy test result and then think about these things then. The result will either be positive or negative, there is literally nothing you can do at this stage that will affect the outcome. Do you have any close friends or sister etc who you can confide in about this?