FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Partner lying to ATO?

Grace_Joy
Community Member

Hello,

My ex partner runs his own business. I've just logged onto my ATO acc and it says for a previous finanical year that his business has paid me wages of up to $10,000! Now i was unaware of this. We were together at this time, we had seperate bank accounts and he would transfer me money from his personal acc and his business acc mostly to purchase things for him if he was too busy. Like boots, groceries, sometimes I would withdraw what he had transferred to pay his cleaner. We also have a child together so sometimes it was for his child. Or he would just be being nice and give me $50. Sometimes he would be silly in the description and say "gf allowance" or something sexual. Other times the money was to buy him alcohol.

Never had it been discussed that I was employed by his business and it was mostly for him he just wnated me to do the errand for him.

Im scared to do that years tax now as I never reported any of that money as I was never aware.

Ive tried to speak to him and he is acting like I'm dumb and I dont understand. When I know this feels so wrong and so low.

Ive gone back through my bank and checked dates of deposits and have messages showing that he had asked me to buy alcohol or do something for him with his money that was for him.

I just need some support, anyone else had a similar experience?

1 Reply 1

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Grace_Joy~

I'd like ot welcome you here to the Forum. I'm glad you came as this must be a very worrying - and hurtful - situation to have to cope with.

Your ex sounds at the kindest interpretation to be disorganized, and may in fact be deliberately misrepresenting the situation, involving you in a difficult position wiht the ATO.

As you have already talked wiht him and got nowhere can I suggest you contact an accountant and explain the situation then work out this year's tax return and modify previos ones?  With the accountant  registered as your agent I think if the ATO wishes to follow up on the modifications or your ex's claim for last year (and any further claims)  they will go though the  accountant and the pair of you will be in a good position to refute the allegation. This most probably will involve you banking records.

It is true this course of action will mean you have to pay accountant's fees however it gets rid of the worry and places you in the position of taking the correct action if and when needed.

The ATO can loom large in life and cause a lot of stress when things are not going smoothly. Add to the difficulties of separation and parenthood and its very hard to face alone. Do you have anyone in your life -a family member or friend perhaps you can lean on at the moment? Their support may just be an ability to listen and care, not try to 'fix' anything. It can make things feel easier

Croix