FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Parents want to kick me out

Anonymously01
Community Member
Im 18 years old and have no job or money. My parents want to kick me out of home and being homeless terrifies me. I have low vision and cannot see well especially at night so I'm not sure what to do...I am still trying to complete school and get a job but with low vision it has made things difficult. I know it's legal to leave at 18 but i don't have anywhere to go.
3 Replies 3

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi there. I don't know the circumstances of what has led to this, but yes, I imagine it is a scary prospect for you. You don't have to share details, but do you think it's something that you could sit down and resolve with your parents? If you're still in school perhaps there is a school counsellor or a trusted teacher that you could talk to? Katy

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Anonymously

Welcome to bb and thank you for trusting us with your story.

I'm so sorry that your parents want you to leave your family home. I can imagine that you are feeling quite sad and scared. Even though you are 18 you still require support to finish your education and prepare for independence and I think it's important to try and resolve the issues.

I think Katy's idea to try talking with your parents is a good one. Is there another family member who could potentially help you? Maybe an Aunt, Uncle or grandparent?

You know, sometimes parents say things in anger and regret their words later. I have to admit I have done this myself, as a mum with two children. Is it possible this is the case here?

If worse comes to worst, and you find yourself homeless, please ask a teacher to help you. You can also ask the Salvation Army for help. And you can also call the bb support line on 1300 22 4636 and the team will help you with information specific to where you live.

Kind thoughts to you

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Anonymously01,

I’m sorry to hear of the situation you find yourself in. Is there something that precipitated your parents wanting you to move out? Did they say anything to you other than that? Would you say they are generally reasonable people. As someone who has suffered a fairly serious medical condition for most of my life, I understand that it can be difficult working full-time with such a condition and it can be a barrier. My mother was a fairly unpredictable character and made my schooling difficult, but I decided that university was the best move for me and tried to lay low and stay out of her way as much as possible until I could get a job and move out. I had to think fairly strategically about jobs that would work with my medical condition - for example, I chose a career specifically so that I can work from home. That way no matter how sick I get, I can sit at a computer and keep going. It’s not ideal and some days it’s really hard, but not working isn’t really an option unless you want to struggle financially for the rest of your life. Instead I am trying to work hard now and invest wisely so that I don’t have to do it forever. I think you need to probably get a bit serious and think about what kind of career can play to your skill sets as I think your parents have shown you that you can’t necessarily rely on them forever.