FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Parents deny claims of depression and do not understand me

Digital-2_4_6
Community Member
I (17M) have lived with depression for the last year and a half. Recently during a parent-teacher interview and echoed throughout this tough time period is the idea that my mum puts forward stating that "I do not let go of past trauma." This includes previous friendships and bullying affecting me. She just came into my room and asked what I disliked about the mental health week we have at school and I said how I disliked that no-one chose to check up on me during the week, neither teachers nor students who ALL know about my condition. Literally all of them know, and no-one came and said anything. She then stated how "I can't always play the sympathy card" which sent me over the edge, and I stopped talking to her. I must mention that she told me to jump out of the cruise ship during a holiday last year because I attempted suicide before, and she was fed up with me. Is there any way I can relay these feelings about this to her. P.S. I regularly see a psychiatrist and take an antidepressant daily.
1 Reply 1

Sophie_M

Hey Digital- 2_4_6,

Welcome to our friendly online community, we are so glad you decided to join us here. We know it can be hard to write the first post, so thank you for having the courage. We're really sorry to hear how low you've been feeling after no one checked up on you during the mental health week at your school. It also sounds like you've been very hurt by these words from your mum, but we think it is very strong of you to be reaching out here on the forums to seek support for how to discuss these feelings with her. It sounds like you have a lot of offer people, and have a great insight into your feelings. We're sure that a lot of our community members will relate to these feelings and hopefully some of them will be able to offer you words of advice.

If you feel it may be helpful, please know that you are always welcome to get in touch with our friends at Kids Helpline. They are a confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under, and are available 24/7 on 1800 55 1800 or through their webchat: https://kidshelpline.com.au/get-help/webchat-counselling  One of the friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support and advice on how to start this conversation with your mum.

Please also know that the lovely counsellors at Lifeline (13 11 14) and the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467) are there for you 24/7 whenever these feelings become overwhelming.

We hope that you keep checking back in and let us know how you are going when you feel up to it. We're all here for you.