FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Parents are getting a divorce and my dad's alcohol addiction

cow
Community Member
My parents are getting a divorce because they keep fighting and they don't go well together. My dad also had a alcohol addiction for a while so my family has been through a lot. My dad is getting help now after he relapsed after three years, but I am more anxious about my parents' divorce. I do want them to be happy but I can't picture my life being happy with them apart. I don't want them to live separately and I don't want me and my sisters to separate. There are so many emotions going on in my head which are stopping me from focusing at school and I can't find anything to make me happy. None of my friends can help me as my best friends live far away. I also don't want to talk out loud to anyone about it because I have been to a psychologist before and I couldn't open up.
1 Reply 1

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Cow

Welcome to our community forums. Life is sounding really tough at the moment. My heart goes out to you. It is so frightening to see your life change before you and you have no control over what is happening.

It is hard to open up with someone you don't know heay? I understand completely. I know what it's like, it takes time to feel okay and begin to talk.

You talk about emotions going on in your head. That sounds like you are thinking a lot about what is going on around you. Since you find it difficult talking, do you write much? For example, do you keep a journal or diary? This often helps as it gets it out of your head and onto paper.

What do your sisters think or say? Are they as upset as you to? You need support from someone Cow. It's okay to ask for it and it's okay to talk. There are many services available. A life with someone who has had a problem with alcohol can be difficult. It can feel like you can't open up for fear of getting into trouble. But it's okay Cow to open up to the right people. I'm guessing you know about the services you can access, e.g.

eHeadSpace 1800 650 890

Kids Helpline 1800 551 800

There are also journal apps you can get, e.g. Daylio, Mood Prism. Might help to get your emotions out of your head.

Hope some of this helps. Feel free to join in discussions with others on the forums who are experiencing similar situations. You can do this by exploring the forums or do a search in our search field at the top of the webpage using keywords, e.g. divorce, separation, alcohol addiction.

Kind regards

PamelaR