FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Parenting

Ellen2018
Community Member
Hi, new here. Single mom. What is the best parenting for a 20yr old high achiever son who is starting to have depression? 🙂
4 Replies 4

BballJ
Community Member

Hi Ellen2018,

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

May I suggest maybe taking him to see a GP and possibly speaking to a psychologist to try and work out the cause of his depression? Do you know much about why he is feeling this way?

Please, post back as much as you like, we are always happy to talk.

My best for you,

Jay

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Ellen2018

Welcome and thankyou for having the courage to post too!

I have had depression for over 21 years and doing a lot better with my GP now....(just for your info)

Can I ask if your son has been diagnosed with depression? I understand you as my 24 year old daughter has been showing signs of depression as well

If you can provide any additional information we can support you more effectively. I know that depression is not a free pass to give a parent a hard time though. (thats if you are going through a rough patch)

Even for me...my depression doesnt let me be a pain to my mum...or family.

Your privacy is paramount here Ellen2018.The forums are also a judgement free place where you can post too!

I really hope you can post back when convenient. There are many gentle people on the forums that can be here for you

My Kind thoughts for you

Paul

Jamie3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I think the best thing you can do is be supportive and sympathetic to his feelings. As long as he knows that you are their and his number 1 supporter regardless of any mistakes he has made or is making that is vital. I was 21 when i first got diagnosed with depression and as a man at 21 it had a lot to do with making a step into independence and changing environment worked for me as i was very close with my mother. I found moving interstate and starting a fresh was great. But just love him, support him and dont judge. Would be my tip as a parent now! Also encourage him to see someone for help a professional like a counsellor and GP would be the first point of call. Don't dive into medications without properly thinking it through.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Ellen,

Welcome this caring community.

Jay, Paul and nickname have given you helpful advice.

My son was 19 when was diagnosed with depression. He was at uni and went to the counselling service who were very helpful.

Kind thoughts

Quirky