FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

not sure what where to start.

Gilby
Community Member

I am not really sure where to start. At the moment I have so much stuff running around in my head. I feel like I am drowning.

My family and I packed up and moved 6 hours from my home town three months ago. Since moving I am feeling very lonely has i know no one.

My husband suffers from depression and has been having a lot of ups and down over the last 4 months and I am trying my best to help him but it doesnt seem to matter what i do or say it just ends up shit.

I also have some family problems that i am trying to sort out in my head, but dont think i am getting any where.

Feeling very lonely and just not sure how much more i can take

3 Replies 3

AnxietyGirl74
Community Member

Hey Gilby,

Firstly congratulations on reaching out. Life is tough for you right now. Can I suggest that you start by finding a great GP and talk about how you’re feeling? Also, try to stay connected with your friends and family via Facebook and maybe visits when you can. Family problems, yep. I think a lot of people pretend that life is a little golden book story but most people I know have crappy family issues. Stay on here, read some more forums and know that you are not alone. There are heaps of people on here who genuinely care for others. Be kind to yourself...you’ve gone through some massive changes. Big 🤗 hugs!

Dear AnxirtyGirl74

Thanks for your kind words and advice. I am looking into finding a GP. I want to find one that understands depression and anxiety, and will know how to help. Not just one that gives me medication with no follow up (this is what happens to my hisband).

Again thanks for the advice.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Gilby, thanks for posting your comment.

I'm sorry for how you feel because moving home always seems to be a great idea but you don't know until you actually live there how you are going to feel.

Many people decide to move for various reasons believing it will be what they are after, but if your husband has been suffering from depression, a move does not necessarily make it go away, you can't hide from this illness, it will follow you where ever you go, and even going to the country won't mean it will stop.

If you were helping your husband with depression, but struggling yourself with it, then it's going to make it very difficult to help each other, because you don't have the strength needed for this to happen.

I'm pleased you are looking for a GP, they may prescribe medication and refer you to a psychologist, but please ask them about the 'mental health plan', this entitles you to 10 free sessions per year.

Please take care and hope to hear back from you.

Best wishes.

Geoff.