FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

No next of kin/emergency contact

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi, I have Bipolar 2 disorder and GAD. I do not have any close friends or family members. My only support is my psychiatrist and an outreach nurse who visits me weekly. I am getting a Personal Alarm through NDIS to help me feel safe. I can put down up to five contacts. I will put down Police, Ambulance, Nurse-on-Call. I don’t have anyone else who knows me. I could put down my psychiatrist but she is not available all the time. My outreach nurse only works two days a week. I thought of putting BB as someone to talk to if that was what I needed for my BP and GAD. Is anyone else in the same position? Thank you, Anicca 🙏🏻🙏🏻

8 Replies 8

Sophie_M
Hi Anicca,

I'm glad to hear that you've been getting some extra support from the NDIS and that you're still staying in touch with your psychiatrist and the outreach nurse. It's also really great to hear that you've been finding posting on our forums helpful.

While you're definitely welcome to discuss who else to put down as your emergency contacts here with the rest of our community, I do want to point out that because all BB posts are moderated, the BB forums unfortunately can't offer any real-time or immediate support both because of the moderation wait times (which can sometimes take up to 12 hours) and because it does take time for users to reply and respond.

That isn't to say you can't put down your BB login details as a contact, if that's what would be most helpful to you and for the alarm plan, but this information might just be helpful to keep in mind if you are looking for services that will respond in emergency situations.

- Sophie

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi. It can be tough when you feel you do not have anyone who you can put down as an emergency contact. I know that you said that you do not have any close friends or family. Can I ask if that is because they are too far away? Or for whatever reason you have become distant from them? Are there any groups that you belong to? I have found then when I thought there was no one around to support me in my time of need there were people who did care - even though my mind said otherwise. Maybe if we had a chat here you could find someone who you might be able to put down.

Listening to you,

Tim

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your response. It is because there is no family or friends that can understand or cope with my illness. I’m pretty quiet but do talk if someone is willing to listen. I would say I am pretty needy in this way. My moods can change and I become irritable and say things that are not acceptable to people. I lost my best friend this way about 6 years ago. She was there for me a lot of the time and vice versa. I got to the stage where I felt her friendship was not worth it and said a lot of things in an email. I don’t want to go back in time and I am not social. Stay well, Alison

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Sophie_M, thanks for your response. I was thinking of BB emergency phone number not the forums. It would be for an emergency situation. Stay well. Alison.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Alison,

I guess it can be difficult when people do not understand your history or where you have from.And if you say things that are "unacceptable" it might be a shock to others.

Can you tell me a little more about yourself? Things like what you do during the week? Goals? Dreams? Passions? Relatives?

I found that old relationships can be rekindled. I am interested in hearing your story.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Anicca, I also have a personal alarm around my neck and has been very useful at numerous times, so take advantage of having it.

We forget that our neighbours maybe feeling exactly the same, lonely, rejected by the ones they love who 'don't want to hear their story' anymore, and only wishing they had someone who cared for them again, it only takes RUOK to begin the conversion.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Geoff, thanks for responding. I don’t get on with any of my neighbours. I tried very hard when I first moved in and many times since. We are all different kinds of people with our own issues. My Dr. agrees with this. I am sure many of them are unwell or unhappy but that hasn’t helped me in my condition. Anicca

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi smallwolf,

My first posts on here were some years ago now. If you search Anicca under Bipolar, Depression and Anxiety you should find them. This is very hard for me. I’m 64 and I don’t find it helpful telling my story. I actually feel depressed that I’ve posted about my needs this time. This is my reality.