FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

No Energy - not sure if mental or physical

Ijustneedhelp
Community Member

Hi.

Where do I start? I spend each day just wishing I could sleep all day or play video games. I feel lethargic and tired and weak all day everyday and have 0 energy. My wife and I have our first place we bought a few months back and it's chore doing everything. I am at my wits end because on weekends my wife is doing everything and I'm dragging behind her not caring and just wanting to sleep until I feel more energetic.

I started a new job just over a month ago (at a factory) I don't love it I don't hate it. Just eh. Money is still coming in. The hours suck though. I start at 3pm and finish anywhere between 12am - 1am. I dont usually sleep till 3 or 4am. And this cycle just goes on and on. I could sleep all day, everyday. It is a fight to just get out of bed let alone face the day.

I don't feel like I'm living. Just going through motions. Is this a mental thing or something wrong with my body?

I'm worried and it's casing my wife to dislike me (she'll never admit it, but I can tell)

4 Replies 4

puzzlegirl
Community Member
Not sure if it helps- I used to do a lot of nightshift, finishing anywhere between 3am-6am. Hands down, it wreaks absolute havoc on your body. Even if you get the right amount of sleep, those hours just seem to mess with the body. I would feel like I was walking around in a dream/fog, and was very unproductive the day or so after. Once I got to sleep at a 'normal' time (for me, anywhere between 10pm-midnight) I'd feel better. Of course, there could be some mental stuff happening- perhaps the job isn't challenging you enough? What other things have you got in your life that give you a feeling of purpose? I find that without a clear purpose/goal/desire for something, the mental can also make you feel tired. You feel 'eh' as you describe. Not a professional at all, just my personal experience.

LorenaC
Community Member

Hi ljustneedhelp,

I believe shifts works definitely is related with how you are feeling, even if you get a good amount of hours of sleep. You are going against your natural circadian rhythms.I can understand is not an option for now change that as probably you need the work, maybe you could start to have a look new options to work with morning/day shift. Also in the middle time also i think is very important you be aware what are you eating, as probably excess of sugar or process food is not going to help, trying to eat fresh food, vegetables and fruit, drink plenty water as well.

Hope you can manage to change your shift.Let us know how you are going.

Lorena

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Ijustneedhelp,

Sorry you are feeling this way…

Shift work can affect our sleep cycles…

If this current job isn’t really for you would you be open to finding a new job that would interest you more?

How would you feel about seeing your gp and discussing how you are feeling?

Im here to chat

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Ijustneedhelp,

I agree with the others that the sudden change to shift work is likely partly responsible for your increased fatigue. I also personally notice that the less I do, the more tired I feel. I plan to do all these things when I have a week off work for example, and I mostly just end up sleeping and before I know it, the week is over and I’ve done nothing. Whereas when I am forced to get up to work, I seem to get so much more done in the day. I struggle with doing exercise after work, but I read something that really stuck with me. The premise of it was that you don’t always need to “feel” like doing exercise to do it, just do it anyway. And I’ve tended to stick with it and before I know it, I’m feeling more energetic and generally better. I would say that you need to adopt a similar approach here. Just because you don’t “feel” like doing things around the house doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. It’s unfair on your wife to have to shoulder the burden of both your tasks, and I can assure you it will wear very thin very soon for her. Set your alarm for a reasonable time (one that isn’t too early so it’s unattainable but also allows a few hours to do some jobs) and have a plan for specific jobs you need to do and get up and do them. It may also be worthwhile to see a psychologist and get their insights into possible causes