FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New parent diagnosed with post-natal depression, anyone here suffered the same?

flyonthewall
Community Member

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone as a new parent suffered mental illness. I have a 4 month old (First baby) and have just been diagnosed with post-natal depression. I went through all these months thinking my feelings were normal because family, friends and even professionals said the worry i feel is normal. Turns out it was NOT NORMAL. Feeling let down by my support network in not quizzing me more about my feelings. It was only until my husband said something isn't right week after week that i finally mentioned it to my Maternal Nurse.

Just wanting to know your story and did you eventually start to enjoy being a parent. I hope i do get better, and sad that these early months have been robbed from me and my little boy 😞

1 Reply 1

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I flyonthewall,

Congratulations on your beautiful newborn. I feel saddened to hear how much you’ve been struggling with post-natal depression...it clearly has been a rough time for you...

I feel the past 4 months must have been a huge roller coaster of emotions...a turbulent & confusing time for you...

But I think it’s so brave of you to share here though. Thank you so much for doing that 🙂

I’m glad you’re finally receiving professional care and support now. Although it must still be hard...

I don’t have children, so I admittedly don’t have any wisdom to impart. But there are many lovely parents here on the forums who will be reading along, & who will be able to identify with your struggles...

You are not alone in this...

Kindness and care,

Pepper