FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

needing someone to talk to (am ok however)

car10001
Community Member

hi 

am needing someone to talk to but otherwise am ok.

wondering how you would meet a girl and find some friends similar age.

a friend and her partner dressed up to go somewhere for a weekend & thats one thing that made me think about how much am wanting the girl and some friends.

also as some of you may or may not know the sister is seeing someone and travels to adelaide once a week/fortnight to see the friend and its making me miss the trips to the adelaide hills that use to drive up alone and its reminding you that you have no one and how much you want things to change.

am wanting a girl to hang around with now and then and some friends and be able to drive to more places and do small road trips and wondering how do you find a friend and some friends.

the cousins have now got own families and now really only go up with someone for functions and miss travelling alone which is reason for wanting friends to go see and a girl and other friends.

the uncle got sick and car that had at time came up to that time as a daily where it started having lots problems and now that have got a different one am wanting to do it and have no one else.

how do you get someone to introduce you to people.

plus dont live alone to have the independence that the cousins who have own houses do.

how do you get the independence they have with their own houses but while still living where you are until you can get your own house which some (myself included) are waiting until they can buy their own place.

how does someone on low income or pension afford to buy their own place and/or cover living costs as it seems there is only enough income from that alone to cover living or having a life and if you were to have your own house which renting is only option and want to wait until am able to afford to buy theres not much left to have a life and save by time you cover all your bills.

what can be done about the friends bit until youre able to have a job that works closer to office hours with maybe a very occasional saturday or something.

am at that stage in work life and just trying to do the best until place of work sells.

have accepted its time for everyone to move on as sad as it is

thanks 

8 Replies 8

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello.

you asked a few questions there. If I could concentrate on one and that might help with some of the others. While I understand you were looking for a girl friend, you could perhaps starts by working out things you like, and see if there are groups in your area which you could attend?

from there you might meet people with similar interests.

but it can be tricky when people you know, family or otherwise are starting to move out and do things, What sort of things to do you like?

camping, cooking (not working in hospitality forever), fishing, catching up, go to places and do things, games

what can be done about the friends bit until youre able to have a job that works closer to office hours with maybe a very occasional saturday or something.

sister is seeing someone and travels to adelaide once a week/fortnight to see the friend and its making me miss the trips to the adelaide hills that use to drive up alone and its reminding you that you have no one and how much you want things to change.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

sounds like you like the outdoors, with camping and fishing etc.  I assume from what you said that you currently work in a kitchen in a restaurant or something and don't see too many people? I guess the hours are different to normal as well and if I am right, the hours are long as well.

What would be your ideal job?

hi

you are 100% correct, do work in a cafe kitchen and you are 100% correct the hours are long and different and you are 100% correct its hard though not impossible to see people.

once it sells how would you say no if the other people want to keep you or say you wont be staying for long or if you do stay how do you leave.

with holding down a job is it the business or owner that counts as to how long should stay, can you leave straight away or after only a couple months as youve been at business 13 years so far or should you stay with the other people for a certain time even though you were at the business for 13 years so far.

what would be reason you think as to why people got out and wernt returning as soon as things opened and they were only back for a week.

just had enough of the kitchen work after over 10 years and just trying to hang on a bit longer as there is no other option yet and was taught not to until having another option incase it takes a while.

what could you do to hang on a little longer or until place sells which may take another 5 years as a hardware shop took 8 years to sell.

even if it doesnt sell how do you leave after 15 years but before 20 years is up because feel 13 years is long enough with allowing time to plan ahead and not going to make 20 years but hope to make atleast 15.

as sad as it is and as much as we will all miss each other have accepted its time for us all to move on and am feeling like its time and finding the kitchen work hard now and feel like am never going to get out and follow goals and less weekend work.

how do you get less weekend work and more time.

how do you leave once having another option without causing problems and putting your thing out and winding back and doing your thing and the other thing and eventually leave once starting to get too much work (like owners nephew did with his business)

hope to start a part time business and even though nothing will be extensive atleast not to start with am still going to have to have training in some way

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

I worked in IT (still do a little) and transitioned into other things. It can be hard to make that step. It can also be rewarding once you take up a new job, that something you wanted to do. By the way, I am not telling you to quit what you are doing. 

Are you the owner of the business or ???

You mentioned wanting a part time business ... doing what?

To be honest, when I saw the things you liked to doing, I would have thought some sort of tour guide, or outdoor job where you can combine the things you liked doing?  

With jobs is it the business that counts as to how long you should stay even if it changes owners where you don’t stay long if at all with new owner after doing it nearly 14 years.

or is it the owner that counts where you should stay with the owner for a while before leaving even though you did it nearly 14 years.

hoping to make 15 years in food side but not going to make 20 as it’s been harder since 2020.

if you do stay with new owner what is professional way to leave once you’re ready 

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello again.

I think there are 2 things to consider. The first is loyalty. The second is you can leave when you want. But back to loyalty and that can also effect the second option. If you have loyalty (or feel that you owe it) toward the person or business that might prevent you or someone from leaving the business.  A person with no loyalty would leave any time without any thought.

As far as leaving is concerned, this would be a standard resignation letter. You can find example of these on google. 

hi

the owner is stopping that little vintage shop in a couple months and is only doing the cafe which also has some secondhand stuff and that little vintage shop is about the only thing that am able to do or is as close as am able to get to getting out of hospitality where you do something else. 

one of the main reasons is because theres a shop next door the little vintage shop that has animals and there is a smell that gets into the vintage shop and the animal shop owner doesnt clean it properly and the vintage shop owner that also owns the cafe cant put up with the smell from the animal shop anymore.

the animal shop owner is only 32/33 and she has pretty much driven the cafe owner out of the vintage shop next door to the animal shop which is between the animal shop and the cafe.

most people don't stay long anymore and they don't  bother about loyalty to boss or try and hang on a little bit longer and and am wondering wether the animal shop owner being 33 comes from a entitled generation who will not stay long in a job and only think of themselves and want it now and not try and hang on a bit longer and instead will just leave.

how do you ask to just do the second hand side if shop hasn't sold in 12 months and if you choose to stay on for a little longer once it sells in a way that youre not going to let either owner down.

if new owner wants to keep you how do you say no or say you only want to do the secondhand/other side and youre not able to do the hospitality.

with running a part time business is it the same reporting like when working part time or is there additional problems and reporting.

how do you ask to stop doing the hospitality side and just do the second hand side if shop hasn't sold in 12 months and if you choose to stay on for a little longer once it sells in a way that youre not going to let either owner down. 

what would be the reason you lot think are why so many people have put their notice in for resturaunts/cafes/pubs/other hospitality places as soon as they were able to return after shutdown after only being back for a week.

if anyone has got answers it would be appreciated

thanks