FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My son hates me!

Outofoptions
Community Member
I really need help. I feel like I cannot do this anymore and seriously want out. I feel selfish for thinking this way because so many people lose their lives to disease, and here I am just unable to cope anymore! I'm a single mum to two boys,10 and 2, and my eldest hates me. He tells me to f off, if I tell him something is happening the next day he will just blaintantly refuse and just say "I SAID NO". It doesn't sound like much but I cannot stress just how bad it is, he throws things at me, punches walls, slams the door in his brothers face and says he is going to kill himself. I can't get him in the car if he knows I am taking him to a hospital. He has taken a knife to his room before and locked his brother and myself out of the house resulting in the police being called. He got taken to PCH but nothing was done, he wasn't admitted, there were no follow ups nothing.
Honestly I'm at serious breaking point! Help!
3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi Outofoptions,

We’re so grateful to have you reach out to our community tonight and are so sorry to hear about what you’ve been going through. It sounds like you have been struggling at home and with your sons challenging behavior. it must be a really difficult time. We hope that you find our forums to be a safe, supportive, and inclusive space to talk through your thoughts and feelings. Our community is here for you and we're sure that our members will relate to these feelings and hopefully some of them will pop by to offer you words of wisdom and kindness.

Given what you have posted, it might be an idea to also call for some further supports for yourself, which are listed below.

beyondblue Support Service – 1300 22 4636 or web chat or email available at www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport

000 - For support and for an emergancy.

Child protection can be a great resource for family’s who are struggling and need support and guidance.

Keep checking in to let us know how you’re going, whenever you feel up to it.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi and welcome to beyond blue.

I cannot imagine what you would be going through on a daily basis with your son and his behaviour. I can only say I have heard stories from my mother who the volunteered at a local school and there were kids in grade 3 who used that language. And you are also being everything to your children. So part of me wants to acknowledge what to do, but also to write here about what is going on in your home. Raising children is difficult enough the added pressure you would be feeling.

Another like you might be able to check out is...

https://kidshelpline.com.au/parents/issues/how-parentline-can-help-you

My only suggestion would be to talk to contact one of groups that Sophie_M mentioned or parentline (they have different numbers for each state) for advice on what to do.

Tim

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi there

You do need help. And don't feel bad about that in the slightest. They say it takes a village, and it's true! As a fellow single mum, I completely empathise with you.

Sophie and smallwolf have given you some numbers to call for support. You could also speak to your GP about a referral to a child psychologist to find out what's going on for your lad. You don't have to deal with this alone. There's help out there.

Please let us know how you get on, and if you want to chat more. We're listening.