FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My son and i are socially isolated...

icecube
Community Member
I am a single mum of a 7 year old boy and we are both socially isolated. I am currently undergoing the divorce process and i have been struggling with clinical depression even though i try to cover it up especially because i don't want my son to see me when i hit the downward period which is very hard. Having no family in Australia makes the situation even harder and sometimes i just don't know who turn to when things get so overwhelming.I had to move locations and i feel really bad for my son as he doesn't have any friends. I don't want him to be isolated further. I have tried to approach some parents from the school he's going to but they don't seem interested. I'd really like to meet mums with kids who understand mental health and therefore non-judgemental.
5 Replies 5

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Icecube ,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for making your first post.

I understand it must be hard for you having no family in Australia and feeling isolated.

i wonder if your son has mad3 a friend and you could invite that friend over to play and so meet the parents.

Also does the school have a parents group that raises money for the school and generally helps with school matters. That maybe a way to feel part if the school community and meet people.

If you have a local health centre there may be a group for mums whounderstand mental Health.

Just a few ideas. Sometimes at the local library they have a noticeboard of groups I You area that may interest you. I like going for walks and I used to meet people when I lived in suburbs by walking everyday and saying hello.

I realise it is hard when you have depression and you feel alone .

post here as much as you like and hopefully others will have more ideas for you.

By writing your post you will help others in a similar position.

Quirky

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi icecube,

I’m wondering if you could sign your son up for a social sports team? If you are feeling well enough, that might even be something that you like to do as a way to meet friends. Exercise also has a really beneficial effect on our mental health and it’s nice to get out of the house for a few hours a week. Just a suggestion as that seems to be the easiest way to make friends.

M_C72
Community Member

Hi icecube,

i feel you,i dont have family here in australia aswell..i just have a baby so i starting to feel depress sometimes but as long as i can i try to help myself like walking,going in the park and do some gardenings..i have partner but hes always busy at work.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi icecube and M.C72,

Welcome to you both.

The local council may have some idea of groups and activities that are available in the area.

Some Churches offer all kinds of groups for people of the community, you can attend those without needing to be of any faith.

There may be a community house in your region that may offer groups and activities at a low cost.

Shopping centre notice boards sometimes mention groups.

I hope you both manage to find places in your area where you feel welcome and comfortable. Like Quirky mentioned, you are welcome to share here as much as you would like to.

Cheers to you both, from Dools

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ice cube,

Peole have given you helpful suggestions

.MC72 I too welcome you t9 the forum and thanks for using your first post to share your experience with another poster.

Walking is a good idea and you can meet people in your neighbourhood ang gardening is good too as you could maybe swap plants with other people .

Quirky