FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My sister reported me to the police

MisterM
Community Member
I can't forgive her, I can't forget it, I feel so angry about it.
She thought I was going to hit her was her motivation for going to a police station to report me, I've not once in my life done so and never threatened to.
It was all because I was at her house to support my brother in law who was in a bad place mentally after the two of them had some marital problems. She wasn't home at the time.
This happened a number of months ago, I am angry at her for doing such a thing and cannot wipe it from my memory.
Me and my sister have been estranged for a number of years and have not spoken.
28 Replies 28

pipsy
Community Member
Dear MisterM.  Sorry I haven't replied earlier, I was at work at have only just read your post.  If your sister was out when you called there, why has she phoned the police?  Is it because of what happened at your mum's?  Your post doesn't actually make sense.  You said you were seeing your BIL, your sister wasn't there, how could she say you threatened her if you didn't see her?  If your mum phoned her because you 'lost it' with her, your sister possibly felt scared for your mum.  Have you tried talking to your sister?  What does her hubby say about what happened?  I know you said you and your sister are estranged and haven't spoken, so what caused all this?  What you're saying doesn't tie in.  If you and your sister don't speak and haven't done so for years, how did what you've just said come about?  You sound very bitter, that's getting you nowhere.  Try talking to your sister, send her a letter, text her, email her.  It sounds like you have a very dysfunctional family.   

MisterM
Community Member

Hi pipsy,
Thanks for replying.
This had nothing to do with my mum or anything that goes on at home.
I was called to her and my BIL's house by my BIL as he apparently locked himself out of his house and wanted me there, when I got there with a spare key I noticed something was wrong and I got told what happened.
My sister wasn't there and I got told by my BIL what happened (I don't want to go into detail about their issue) and I stayed to support him as he was distressed and he wanted me to stay.
My sister saw my car in the driveway as she drove past her house I take it and went to the local police station to make a report against me.
Yes my family is a big mess.

MisterM
Community Member
Also, I was standing by my BIL's side in support at the doorway of the house so I don't know.
I can't explain why she made such a report.

pipsy
Community Member
Hi MisterM.  All I can suggest is what I said earlier.  Ask your sister straight out why she called the police.  If there was no reason, the police won't be very happy either.  What does your BIL say about it?  The longer you leave it, the more angry you're going to get.  Anger is a wasted emotion, so's bitterness.  They both 'eat' you up inside, your sister doesn't feel anything from your anger, only you 'feel'.  If you feel you can't talk to your sister, one on one, as I said, text her, email her.  Can you contact her via fb.  You need to clarify what the problem is so you can get on with your life. 

MisterM
Community Member

Hi pipsy,

My BIL was trying to downplay it by saying "you should have heard what she said about me".
I was there with my BIL when my sister was at the police station. A police officer called my BIL and I was next to him as he spoke to the police officer. My BIL was telling the officer that there were no threats of violence. My sister as issues upstairs. She doesn't have FB, I have her mobile and home numbers but I don't want anything to do with her.

pipsy
Community Member
Dear MisterM.  If what you're saying is true, no doubt the police would've reprimanded your sister well and truly with all that rubbish.  They have enough to worry about without nonsense between families.  She may have been told she would be charged with hindering police as well.  My ex was a policeman and they have little patience for people who 'cry wolf'.  You've stated you want nothing more to do with her (I presume you include BIL in that statement).  Stick to your guns.  Next time BIL phones up wanting help, tell him to sort it himself.  Police may suggest to  BIL your sister 'gets help'.  The best thing you can do now is get on with your own life.  I'm so sorry you went through that fiasco. 

MisterM
Community Member
I don't know if she done anything wrong by law, if she felt unsafe and told the police that then I don't think she broke the law. It was a messy event.
I don't blame my BIL, I was concerned for him so I chose to stay around longer than needed.

pipsy
Community Member
Dear MisterM.  The one thing the police would suggest to your sister, if she did tell them, she felt threatened, they might suggest she take out an AVO against you.  That's not saying they DID say that, that's saying they might suggest that.  I still think, after speaking to your BIL, the police possibly would've told your sister to 'go home and get things sorted'.  If they suspect, as you said, that your sister has issues, they may suggest she get some help.  The 'down' side to all this is, the police would've had to make out a report.  Next time there's any sort of problem involving you and/or sister, the report is checked, possibly followed by a visit from the police.  Once the police are involved, it stays on file, indefinitely.  It wouldn't hurt you to go down to the police and let them know your sister overreacted when she saw you at her home.  Just a thought, there.  Tell them you and your sister are estranged and have been for a while.  You don't have to 'wash all your dirty linen', but once they know a bit more, if your sister called them again, they wouldn't necessarily follow up straight away.  Just tell them there are 'family issues'.           

MisterM
Community Member

Hi pipsy,
Thanks for replying and for the info.
She came home after she was at the police station and I left without saying a word to her.
This is what angers and worries me, that I might have my name on record now.
I've never committed an act of violence in my life and am gentle by nature.
I don't know if I should go to the station without speaking to my sister to check and clear things up.
I want to be a teacher, I don't need any record against my name that could stuff my future employment prospects up.