FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My sibling is anxious and depressed - what do I do?

applebanna
Community Member

My younger sibling who is 13 is highly anxious and I think they may be depressed. She posts weird things online about harming themselves and has a journal that they write in discussing bad things. They also have harmed themselves quite recently. Our parents are aware and have contacted a psychologist but I don't know what to do. I try to reach out and help but they push me away and every time I ask them they get defensive and don't talk. I was wondering if anyone knows any things I could do to help make their depression and make them less anxious, maybe going for runs or something like that. Any feedback or help is needed thanks! 

1 Reply 1

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello.

I'm sorry to hear about your younger sibling's struggles with anxiety and depression. It's understandable that you want to help them in any way you can, but it can be difficult when they push you away and don't want to talk about it.

It's great that your parents have contacted a psychologist, as they will be able to provide professional support and guidance for your sibling.

In the meantime, there are a few things you can try to support your sibling. For example, let your sibling know that you care about them and that you're there to support them. Even if they push you away, continue to show your love and support. Also remember that your brother/sister is a teen so conflicts between siblings may be normal. Been there, and see it in nephews etc. Perhaps you could chat with your parents about this as well?

Remember that supporting someone with anxiety and depression can be difficult, but it's important to prioritize your own mental health as well. Don't hesitate to reach out to a trusted friend or mental health professional for support and guidance.