FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My mum has depression

manila
Community Member

My mum has been diagnosed with depression for as long as I can remember. She takes daily medication and will see a psychologist when she feels out of control. Over the past year her depression is severely worsening, and now she won’t speak to myself or my brother. All of her answers consist of one word, she is hardly eating and asks us to leave her alone when we try to support her.

Last night she said ‘I don’t know how I am going to do this’ and I am so worried that she going to harm herself/take her own life. When I asked her what that meant, she didn’t respond. We constantly remind her that we love her, that we are there for her and that we will work through everything together, but we just aren’t getting through. She said that she is too upset to see her psychologist, and needs time to herself but I am scared to leave her alone. What can I do to help her?

She has spent the past five days in bed and when I spoke to her about how I am worried, she didn’t say anything.

I don’t have depression myself but I am struggling with supporting her and don’t want to lose her.

2 Replies 2

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi manila

I am so very sorry that you are going through this with your mother, it is so heart wrenching to experience as I too am doing it with mine. I too was at my wits end to know how to manage this and I ended up taking my mother to the Emergency Department at the local Hospital. I shared with the amazing nurse on duty my concerns, her mental health history and well it all kind of came together. She spent 5 days in the hospital, they had social workers, the psych team and others come to chat to her and assess her, and the constant companionship of the nurses gave her a massive boost.

I am not saying this is the "fix" I still need to do work everyday and make sure she gets out in the sunshine and has something to eat. I try to get her to do small things even if it is housework just something to keep her mind of the thoughts and anxiety and depression that she wears.

It is so scary and so sad and I feel your pain, please make sure you take care of you too, this is a really heart breaking time and can take its toll on you too. Please reach out to Lifeline on 13 11 14 if you need to chat to someone or even the Beyond Blue line on 1300 22 4636. There are so many wonderful people on the other end to help.

Huge hugs to you and I wish you and you family all the very best x

AS x

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

manila

What a caring daughter you are and what a lot of responsibility you have.

Aaronsis has given you some helpful suggestions.

You need to care for yourself and getting some one to help you support your mum. Aaronsis has mentioned the hospital and maybe if there is a local community mental worker that you could talk to.

Is there anyone else in your family who can help you and your mum.

Quirky