FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My girlfriend of nearly 6 years left me

KangarooBoi
Community Member

Hi my girlfriend of nearly 6 years told me she doesn’t love me anymore and broke up with me a week ago we share a child together and I’m finding it hard to cope with what has happened,

our relationship wasn’t always easy but I felt as though we had worked through a lot of our problems, she said that she needs to be by herself to find herself and love herself again as she is depressed after a few deaths in the last 12 months, she said she doesn’t want to get back together but she doesn’t know what the future holds and doesn’t know if once she does find herself that she will want to get back together!
what do I do?

I cant just not talk to her because we have a child

4 Replies 4

o0 3ree6ixty 0o
Community Member
It is ok I understand my girlfriend left me after 2 years and that was hard but I understand that it is hard for you seeing for how long you guys were together just know that we are here to help

Sophie_M
Hi KangarooBoi,

We’re sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way and going through such a difficult time with your relationship ending while sharing parenting responsibilities. We’re glad you could share this here. As o03ree6ixty0o's comment shows, our lovely community have kindness, advice and understanding for you.

It sounds like you could do with talking things through, so please don’t hesitate to give the lovely Beyond Blue counsellors a call on 1300 22 4636 or speak to them on webchat here (11am-midnight AEDT). You could also speak to the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321. They offer free, confidential advice to families going through separation. There’s also Parentline, who have a number for each state listed here. They also have advice on co-parenting when separating, here on their site.

Thanks again for sharing here. We’re sure you’ll hear from some other community members soon. We hope you can be as kind to yourself during this difficult time as you have been in opening up and sharing with the community here, today.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi KangarooBoi,

I am sorry, breakups hurt - especially long terms ones! It is hard when you have to still see her due to your child, but I feel it is also important to give her the space and time she needs to be by herself. Still try and be there for her if you feel she is depressed and needs someone but you should probably respect her wishes at this time.

It can feel upsetting and hurtful when a long term relationship suddenly ends, but just know we all have had various similar experiences and are here for you. Let me know if you need to talk, and as Sophie suggested - there are always people available on the hotline.

Jaz.

Learn to Fly
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi KangarooBoi

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the forum. I a sorry to hear about your break up. It’s always very difficult, especially on the person whom a partner broke up with.

Sounds like she has been going through some very challenging times with few deaths within only 12 months of time. When it comes to grief you have to treat each person as an individual. There might be some common behaviours but every person feels it and reacts to it in his/her own way. It appears your girlfriend chose to separate from you, possibly from others too. This happens sometimes and it might be a short or a long term withdrawal. Try to give her some time to herself as she might need it. You have a child together so you will stay in touch. You can always ask her how she feels, how is she coping with her grief. Give her time and try to refrain from asking her about your relationship. It might be that this is simply too much for her to process atm. I am sorry, I know this might not make things easier for you.