FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My family is falling apart and so am I

Caileigh
Community Member

In the past four or five months, I've noticed that my parents' relationship has been strained more than usual and I thought nothing of it. It turns out my mum broke up with my dad on his birthday. They've broken up before - when I was eight - but this time it's a lot worse because I'm older and am noticing things I didn't before. It's also worse because my mum has been cheating on my dad, manipulating him for money and drugs and spending all of our money.

Plus my mum decided that she needed his money and conceded to 'having a break' in their relationship while still getting all the benefits of a marriage (even though they're not married).

In a short conclusion:

• I'm now becoming more depressed and anxious than I have ever been before
  • My mum is addicted to multiple drugs (none illegal, I think)
  • My dad is depressed and alone
  • My siblings have no clue what's happening
  • Consequently, I have no one to talk to about this stuff, meaning I feel alone and useless and I've developed emotional detachment from most things

So, yeah. I need help and I don't know how to get it.

- Caileigh 🙂

2 Replies 2

BballJ
Community Member

Hi Caileigh,

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

I am sorry to read what is happening in your family at the moment, that seems like a lot to take in and I can understand how you would feel lost on who to talk too. Speaking to your parents may be tough about this, do they know that you know what you do? Has your dad said anything to you at all?

I know it causing you anxiety and it sounds like you are trying to hold it all together for them. Have you thought about speaking to your local doctor about how you are feeling so you can try and sort that out? It is hard to put their problems onto your shoulders and wear it, I did it for years with my parents as well when they would fight growing up.

Please, remember you can call the Beyond Blue helpline on 1300 22 4636 24/7 to discuss how you are feeling.

Please, post back as much as you like, we are always happy to talk.

My best for you,

Jay

Bethie
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi

As a teen i went through it. Mum eventually left the family home dispite my Dad beggig her to not leave. Even at 13 i knew my Dad needed me. I resured him that we would be ok without mum and i would help around the house. The strongest man i had ever known was reduced to barly eating or sleeping.

Im not sure how old you are but by the sound of it you want to help your Dad as well as feel that you can open up.

Maybe talk to your Dad. Right now your both scared. Tell him you know what has and is happening and it is ok you can handle it.

We are all here for you whenever you need us. Kinda like a virtual family.

I know there is a organisation called Alateen that supports kids who have family members in active addiction. My son went to a few weekends