FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Boyfriend Hates My Parents

Community Member

My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 years and he is very supportive. Recently he has told me that he hates my parents and doesn’t want to be involved with them in any way. They are very protective and they just want to help but my boyfriend thinks that they think we are receiving charity from them and we can’t do anything ourselves. He doesn’t want me to disown my family but he doesn’t want to be a part of their lives either.

I don’t know what to do. I have suggested talking to my parents about it to see if we can come to a conclusion but I don’t even know what to say to them

1 Reply 1

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi 2904,

Welcome to the forums and thanks so much for joining us. I'm sorry that you're struggling with this - it sounds like you're being kinda forced into this situation and having to choose between people that you love.

I'm not really sure what advice I can give, but I noticed that you mentioned that he thinks you are getting 'charity' from them. Is this why he hates them - because he feels like even though your parents mean well, he's feeling like a 'charity'? I'm thinking that if that's why he hates them, maybe your parents can help a little less ?

rt