FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mumguilt

charlymay1
Community Member

We have raised our kids they are 24 and 26 have careers partners houses and seem fairly settled etc.

daughter 24 had our first grandson he is now 8 mths old we have been very active and supportive. We are close to our kids and put them first in most decisions for the past 20 yrs.

we have a big opportunity in another state to set ourselves up for retirement we would move away for two years or so we would be able to travel back every 8 weeks for a few days to visit and holidays and keep in touch via phone and video chats etc I see my daughter and grandson every week now and love it.

my hubby wants to go as we would love a change and all that goes with this. I feel sad at the thought of going and think I may miss out on so much with my grandson do you put this in front of financial and career gain so confused with mum guilt i mentioned it to my daughter and she was not real happy. Thanks for opinions. My son hasn’t responded but I think in the future he may do fifo anyway so will travel away himself and will understand

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Two years will go in a flash. If the move will be beneficial then I'd say do it because, well although you are close to daughter and grandson, life includes more. That sounds mean, I meant that its your daughters little family, they will survive ok and you'll see them every 8 weeks or so. 

As a boy I saw my grandparents once a year, xmas time in Tassy so compare that? 

I think your husbands wishes are very important rather than anyone elses on this move.

I hope that helps. 

TonyWK

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear charlymay,

A kind and caring welcome to our forums,

I agree with TonyWK, 2 years fly by so quickly, plus there is FaceTime now, so you can still see your children and beautiful grand baby each night if you felt like it….in between your 8 weekly and holiday visits…

It’s beautiful that you’ve always put your children first, but now it’s you time…having a great opportunity to set you up for retirement sounds so good, you won’t have the burden of financial worries through retirement, which will enable you to enjoy your retirement days in peace of mind and have all the time to once again enjoy your children/grandson daily….

Thinking of you with kind thoughts..

Grandy..