FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mother told me to find somewhere else to live

xxxsoldierxxx
Community Member
I turned 18 about a week and a half ago, and two days ago my mother told me to find somewhere else to live if I was going to keep behaving like a 'little shit.' We're always fighting and it's gotten to the point where I don't feel safe to go home because I'm scared I'm going to do something incredibly stupid and hurt myself. I can't focus on my school work because I'm too stressed, and I've been crying for two days straight. I am trying so hard to keep it together but I'm so close to the edge, and I literally just want to die. I have no clue what to do. I can't go home, but I don't know where else I'm supposed to go.
2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi soldier

We are really sorry to hear that you are feeling so close to the edge and that you have been having these thoughts. We can only imagine how tough this must be for you and we want you to know that we are here if you need us. 

If you feel like you are going to hurt yourself, it is important to call 000 straight away. 

We are also here for you and ready to talk through these feelings and thoughts on 1300 22 4636  or you can call our friends at Lifeline on 13 11 14.

You can also call KidsHelpline who are experts in supporting young people under 25 who are feeling this way. It can be scary but they are there to help you and will never judge. You can get onto them on 1800 55 1800 or try their webchat. 

Thank you for posting to the forums today, we can hear that you are going through a lot with your family and school work. If you feel comfortable, please feel free to check back in with us here on the forums. You are welcome any time.

Kind regards, 
Sophie M

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi soldier,

Welcome to the forum, although I’m sorry you find yourself in the situation you are in. I imagine it must have been a bit of a shock to have your mum say that to you, we always just accept that our parents are there to support us endlessly. However, it sounds as though things have been particularly difficult between you both at home. My ex-partner’s parents also gave him a similar ultimatum when he was 18. He was similarly shocked but it was actually the best thing that happened for him. He moved out and into a mate’s granny flat and was able to live it up for a few years, drink too much etc, all the things you want to do when you are young but can’t really do at home. Do you have a job yet or are you planning on going to uni etc? My first step would be securing employment and then trying to find a relatively cheap place to live (I think they advertise for granny flats on gumtree etc) or you could move in with a mate? It might be the freedom you need