FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lost and Hurt

KJSJ92
Community Member

I'm struggling so much. I don't even know where to begin..

I am a mother of two little ones 8 and 6. My eldest 8 is Autistic and ADHD. I have been quite sick the past two years - diagnosed with an aggressive giant cell tumor in my femur which resulted in a femur and tibia titanium replacement. I am now going through skin cancer which is so invasive. My health just touches the surfaces of how much I'm struggling with my life. I have a wonderful supportive partner but he is struggling to see me like this. I wake up with anxiety and so overwhelmed with my son. He has been so horrible towards me lately, it's hurting me. He has a lot of therapies and will be seeing his Pead very soon for an updated med but in the meantime I'm just lost. I have a 24 hour BP monitor on me at the moment as that has been ridiculously high. I have 0 family support and very little friends. I have had a terrible past with DV and I have moved from that. It may all contribute to my anxieties? I just am a wreck. I am seeing my Dr today to remove the BP monitor, I think it's now time to open up to her to tell her how much I am struggling with my children and health 😔 I am not entirely sure what I need at the moment, I really just want to get that off my chest and have some ideas and perspectives of others. Thank you for reading.

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Boy, what a mum you are, so wonderful to read of a parent that has endured so much but has the courage to post.

I'm hoping your GP can assist with arranging some respite or similar assistance. I think your husband needs to share your GP appointments also because he is struggling. 

I did have a nephew once by marriage that had ADHD and was the oldest of 5 kids. He was indeed a handful and I really pitied his mother. a stay at home mum that also struggles and she didnt have the personal health issues you are tolerating.

However, there is hope. Blood pressure that I've had for many years can be remedied by appropriate medication and regular relaxation periods eg when your eldest is in school. 

Anxiety is also a serious illness that is, ultimately, curable but any improvement is a bonus. The following thread sets out several means to which I overcame it. 

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/anxiety-how-l-eliminated-it/td-p/183873

The operations and rehabilitation on your leg has been a major hurdle and I would assume that you havent fully recovered physically nor emotionally from this. For that reason I feel there is, once more healing has progressed, much to feel positive about. Easier said than done but we all know the power of being positive.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/motivation-search-and-rescue-it/td-p/38279

The best friend you can have is yourself.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/the-best-praise-you-ll-ever-get/td-p/134999

Finally, your son "He has been so horrible towards me lately". You might need to convince yourself that his illnesses restricts his ability to acknowledge what great parents you are. Yes, you need to dig deep but in a few short years life will improve. Maybe ask hubby to mind him while you join a friend for coffee. Join groups of similar people etc.

TonyWK