FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Looking for others experiences talking to loved ones about your mental health?

Jack2021
Community Member
Hi guys,

I've been a part of these forums for a few days now, but I feel already its making a huge difference in my management and recovery of severe depression, stress and anxiety.

Without rambling or going in depth of my own issues which isn't my aim of this thread I guess, I was wondering what opinions, advice, and/or experience all of you have had in regards to talking to friends, family, and loved ones about your mental health?

For me, even though I have suffered from depression about 6 months now, it has been very slow and gradual, however becoming quite severe and debilitating since around Xmas and new years of 2020/2021, lots of feelings of hopelessness, lots of sadness, lots of tears, no suicidal thoughts thankfully, but just a general lack of desire and passion to live life.

My parents, 2 close friends, and wonderful girlfriend of 6 months are really the only people who have known about it, though since last week I am trying to get as much help and support as I can from others, with my counselling finally resuming next week, and enrolling myself in a online mental health well being program that is set to start this week hopefully.

One of my recent major concerns is with my girlfriend, I have the closest relationship with her than anyone else, and trust her the most, therefore I share a lot of my troubles with her, which I am so worried about, as I don't want it to be pulling her down or worsening her mood, as I have already seen it happen twice the past 2 weeks, when I was dealing with very severe anxiety and depression and breaking down quite a lot, it did affect her wellbeing seeing me like that

As a result of this, as much as I'd love her support, I think I'm better off not telling her so much and instead talking to my counsellor and the forums here, as much as It pains me to do so...she is the most wonderful girl and is so supportive and mentally strong, but I can see it is affecting her talking about and trying to help with my issues...

Have other people been in similar situations here? I have tried looking for other threads with this sort of topic, but came up with nothing, would love to hear from you guys 😊
72 Replies 72

Sorry to hear that Jack. Thinking of you

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Jack,

I am really sorry to hear you have been struggling so much and have had a bit of a crap day. It sounds like the past few months have been pretty intense and exhausting. You are right, it will take a lot of time, energy and effort to move forward, and there will be bumps along the way, but it sounds like you have some great support around you, and the motivation to change - the weight of depression will pull you down, but hold on to those strengths and do what you can to keep yourself grounded. Isolating and withdrawing from others can sometimes feel like the only/best option, especially when you are feeling down in yourself, but reaching out, and getting support will help you so much more in the long term.

Talking with loves ones can be so difficult - please know that you are not alone in this, it is especially challenging when you feel upset and hopeless about the situation. Unfortunately it is not always possible to tell loved ones what is happening (whether that is a physical, emotional or mental struggle) without it being painful. Do you feel that this person was intentionally hurting you with their behaviour, or do you think they did not realise? It can be such a difficult conversation to have. Would it be worth talking to your counsellor about this? They may be able to help you with this.

Also, please know, you don't need to apologise for being vague - you can give as little or as much detail as you feel comfortable. Sometimes it is a relief to just talk/vent and get things off your chest, whatever that looks like for you 🙂 We are here to listen and support you.

Take care.

Thank you so much mb, it means a lot to hear that 😊

Hi sunny,
Thank you so much for the kind words and understanding, yes they certainly have been, I have faced sadness, anxiety, and stress many times before in the past which I am so lucky resolved itself, but this is by far the longest, hardest, deepest depression of my entire life so far.
I am lucky enough to have realised last week or the week before just as you say, that reaching out and doing as much as I can is the key to improving this...I've isolated and withdrawn a lot the past few months, and it's done so much harm...

Thank you so much for your understanding, yes, talking and opening up that dialogue has been one of the hardest things for me, admitting I have been suffering and continue to suffer from depression...despite a good run of a few days, today was a very real wake up call, that yes, this condition I have is Real, and that I still need all the support I can get

Well this person.... (my partner) ...I know it was completely unintentional on her part, but me being open and telling her how I felt ( ignored, sad and alone ) about her certain behavior, well it hurt her very deeply, much much more deeply than I ever thought it would have, which really hurt me seeing how much I hurt her......so that triggered a lot of my anxiety and depression all right back to all of today ...

it is something I'd love to talk to my counsellor about, except I'm not seeing my counsellor until next week, and i see my partner this weekend....so while it's something I'd love to talk about right now, it seems it will be something I talk about in hindsight, regardless of if we fix or ignore the problem, or what damage it causes to either of us emotionally.

Thank you so much 😊 to be honest I like to give as much detail as I can, as I find it helps me cope and recover better, however I still have to be mindful of my own and others privacy and personal matters I guess

Thank you so much sunny, your post really means a lot 😊

You're welcome Jack.

Sorry my replies are a bit slow at times, I have so many threads I've commented on so I get caught up with them all, plus trying to comment on new ones haha.

Thanks mb 😊

No worries at all, I completely understand how it is 😊😊

I have times where I have slow replies too, and I am sure I will have times where I miss a day or two on here. (Weekends for example possibly)....I only seem to be on here so much recently, because it truly seems to be helping me soooo much with my anxiety and depression, reaching out and talking to others, having support and giving support, it makes me feel normal again somehow, it makes me feel connected and not totally depressed like I have been for so long..

so yeah all coool 😊😊

Thanks Jack.

I'm really glad to hear it's helping you. At least this forum has understanding and kind, supportive people. Even people I know who have mental illnesses don't even seem to understand but they deal with it too, like what?

I agree, it makes you feel less alone and connected. It would be cool to meet people in person but the anonymity is also cool.

I go online a lot because I don't have much else to do. So called "friends" used to tell me I was online all the time. So what? They were online like 24/7 too. And how is it hurting them or anybody?

mocha delight
Community Member
Hi jack2021 I’ve tried to talk to 2 family members about my issues but both didn’t go well at all and most of my friends I used to have think I’m very negative.

No worries at all 😊😊

Thank you, and You're exactly right, so many supportive, kind, and understanding people, sooo totally different to other forums out there
( ever been on yahoo answers?? Yikes 😱😱😂😂 )
Ohhhh yes I have dealt with people like that In real life, too, but yeah some people are just nasty...

Exactly right, I'm so glad you think the same way, Hmmm yeah it would be I guess, but the anominity is so convenient as well I do admit

Yeah I know that mentality haha...to be honest, i don't actually go online much at all apart from this and my emails...Facebook and social media I stopped using years ago, YouTube I go on for entertainment sometimes, but everything online (YouTube included) just seems to stress me out and give me anxiety nowdays...maybe because it just feelx like this huge never ending stream of "must see videos" and "must read articles", everything is "must see", so I end up looking up things for hours, and end up totally worn out and exhausted from it...that seems the most logical explanation as to why it all stresses me out so much and gives me so much anxiety....

Anyway I apologize for rambling...your kindness and listening ear is always appreciated 😊😊

Hi mocha, damn that sucks, I'm so sorry to hear that, have you tried opening up to other family members?

Friends can be a bit tricky to open up to this sort of thing too I think, Ive only ever told my 2 closest friends that I had depression really, though 'closest" is a very loose term... Basically they're the only two I still keep in contact with, life seems to get in the way so often it seems...