FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Little childcare illnesses

Athenry
Community Member

I just need to vent… I love being a parent and love being married… but.
I don’t feel like I get to enjoy time with my family… someone’s always puking or coughing! I have chronic illness so sometimes that’s me.
It feels like whenever I notice we’re all well, within a few hours someone’s sick. My eldest is coming down with something now, looks like our third bout of gastro since December, which means we’ll probably all get it. My youngest has been coughing for a few days, and for the last two weeks I’ve had a sinus infection.
I hope it gets better 😞 I just want to feel healthy enough to enjoy life rather than spend every day on tenterhooks not knowing if I’ll get a phone call while at work or be woken by a screaming child just as I fall asleep.

I’m not sure of the point of this thread… maybe just looking for solidarity. Now hubs and I have to play the game of who’s-job-is-most-important again.

7 Replies 7

Terry73
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Seems that life there is getting tough, a rotating cycle of illnesses and such. Venting here helps to release the stress you might feel so don't feel ashamed or upset at doing so.

The only advice I can offer would be that just because there is illness and such, even if the illness is your own, is to still enjoy life, maybe in a more sedate way due to the illnesses, but still enjoy life. Things like a family movie night, maybe break out some old style board games, home style barbeque party thats just for your family, list goes on, just find something your family can enjoy as a whole and go with it.

Athenry
Community Member

Unfortunately the kids are too little 😞 4 and 1. So when they’re sick they’re inconsolable 😞

Terry73
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
ahh ok, so young family, my advice still relevant though, just need to tailor it to your family, movies and games, anything that they enjoy to get their minds off being sick, and to create good memories for the future.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Athenry,

Im sorry that your family and yourself have been sick, I understand this would be exhausting.

Being mum we usually look after everyone else even when we are sick.

How are you in your self?

I understand when our kids are young things can feel overwhelming……

Have you thought about talking to a psychologist about the way you are feeling? Maybe a psychologist can help you with some coping strategies.

Im sorry yourself and your husband are in discussion of who s job is more important…. Maybe hear each other out with some understanding.

Maybe a date night for your self and husband would be nice so you could discuss things with out interruption .

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Athenry,

Ugh there is nothing worse than feeling as though you’ve never well (I have a chronic illness as well so I completely sympathize). or finally feeling well only for someone to come down with something again. What I will say is that your children are 4 and 1 so very young. This is the age they get all their childhood infections to prime their immune system but it does get better and they do get less sick over time with the more they are exposed to. What I would say is just keep the house well stocked with pharmacy supplies to make your life a bit easier and also consider investing in things such as iPads and Netflix etc or other things that can make it more comfortable. Plenty of fruit and veggies helps to ward off things and home remedies like chicken soup are good to have frozen in the fridge. I know it’s not ideal but it will get better over time. And I always find I appreciate the simple things, like the sun on my skin, so much more after a bout of illness. Feel free to post here as much as you like, sometimes you just need to have a good vent when life gets you down.

Athenry
Community Member

Thanks guys… my eldest turned out to be ok this morning but by 10am daycare rang me about the youngest who has started coughing.

last night id planned to hang out with hubs but that didn’t happen but hopefully soon! Hubs missed work today and I’ll miss tomorrow.

I must say, I’m lucky that my hubby recognises it’s just as much his responsibility as it is mine. I’ll never take that for granted.

My kids do have a really good diet, lots of veggies and fruit - I think it may be just the sheer number of viruses going round after the lockdowns etc. I just want a break from it!

thank you for your kind responses, you’ve all helped me stay calm and gain perspective. ❤️

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Athenry, I know how you feel and what you're saying, as I too have been through all of this as well, years ago, but whenever one of our little ones cough, we start to panic, think the worst will happen, but most times it doesn't and sometimes what it does is build up their immune system.

When they get the gastro, they are sick and it's always horrible to watch them and all we want to do is console them, just keep the fluids up to them, flat lemonade and toast with a scrapping of vegemite wwhile they slowly recover, and if if it's going around the only way to avoid it is to wear a mask, if they can tolerate it.

If the symptoms continue then isolate them, but not every cough or sneeze means a virus, it could be hayfever, or just by chance or may be if you are concerned then they could have an allergy test.

Best wishes.

Geoff.