FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Literally no friends

AlexDeLoser
Community Member

Greetings good people,

I hope you are all doing well

I've always had trouble making friends throughout my schooling years. I've conveyed many different personas in attempt to fit in/be accepted into friendships. regardless, I still haven't managed to make any genuine friends. The 'friends' that I do make through so much effort, always end up forgetting about me after they no longer accountable to their previous commitments i.e. school and work. And even through the short-lived friendships that I experienced, I always felt really crappy about myself, I felt like I had only become their friends because I was being someone else who I wasn't. I always feel that I am different; as strange as it is to say, I even feel the weirdest and the worst amongst my siblings.

Anyways, I was wanting to know other people's experience with being the 'lone wolf', or something similar. Maybe even some tips to interaction with people? I'm not too sure. Thanks, everyone.

Kind regards,

Alex

3 Replies 3

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Alex and welcome to the forum.

It is hard when you try and you feel you don't fit in.

When I was in primary school I lied to fit in, in high school I spent many lunchtimes alone in the library.

have never been popular.

After having children and still feeling I had nothing in common with other mothers besides our children .bu

I gradually learnt to be myself and maybe celebrate my differences instead of changing them.

Listen and ask questions when you meet people, and be confdent that you have something to offer others.

Thanks for your thread.

Quirky

ErinB
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I often feel like I don't have genuine friends who know me or who I feel safe with to be myself around. It's difficult when you're not given much time with people to feel comfortable around them, either.

Perhaps you could try making friends with people who are in the same classes/school year as you so that you're more likely to be around them for a longer amount of time. You could also try initiating conversations with or getting in contact with people who moved on from school or work. I'm sure they would appreciate hearing from you.

HYPA also offers groups and hang out zones for young people if you're interested in looking into that. Lots of people who access these services are struggling with similar things to you.

All the best!

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hi there Alex, welcome to the forums. And you're not a loser!

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles making and keeping friends. I've experienced the same my whole life and still am. I have no friends online or in person either, which is one of the reasons why I decided to join these forums.

I'll be your friend! I understand how hard it is, but I think just be yourself not someone you're not like you mentioned, and if people don't like it and accept you for who you truly are then that's their loss. You sound like a great person who's brave and just wants a friend and I hope I can be that for you, although I know it is difficult but positive having online friendships rather than face to face. I totally get how hard it is though and how much you feel down about yourself for not being accepted, I really do, and I'm so sorry that you're struggling with this too, the same goes for anyone.

Do you have any interests? Maybe you could see if there's something in your town or somewhere nearby that's not too far to travel that are doing things that you like? Try volunteering maybe, at op shops, whatever is around and if anywhere is taking volunteers? If you feel up to any of it of course, it's totally up to you.

I hope you can find friends on the forums although I know you'd like some face to face too, I hope you can find that also.

You're safe here, it's a friendly, non judgemental, supportive place to be. And I hope you enjoy your time here and make some friendships. As you can see people have already started talking to you and offering support and friendship to you.

I hope you feel better and that I can help. Take care, all the best. I'm here if you'd like to chat.

Tayla