FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Isolated and alone

Vmv
Community Member

I feel like I have nowhere to turn. I’m recently married and it’s has been really tough. During disagreements, he terrorises me, intimidates me, takes my phone, keys and money and sometimes locks me in the house. He controls who I see and talk to. 
When things are good, he’s beyond amazing.
I’m 12 weeks pregnant and we have a mortgage together. 
I feel trapped and confused. I don’t know if I’m the problem. 

7 Replies 7

UrNoTaLoNe91
Community Member

Vmv,

I am so sorry that you feel like you have nowhere to go or anyone to talk to.

I honestly feel like I know where you are coming from, as I feel like I am going through a very similar situation..

I am more than happy to chat with you, if you feel like you can't talk to anyone else 🙂

I am not a professional, just happy to listen/chat/make a friend, if that is what you feel like you need right now 🙂

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Vmv

Welcome to the forums. I'm glad you have posted here. First up, you ar NOT the problem . There is nothing wrong with you.

So sometimes he's amazing.

Other times, such as you have said, his behaviour is simply not okay. It's abuse. He's controlling you, as you say, where & when you go anywhere, your money, your phone, your keys, your freedom as well, which is criminal. 

Since this is so early in your marriage, I fear how much worse things can get.

I urge you to contact 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732) as soon as soon as you can [ safely.

That's important, call when you are alone, & are sure he won't interrupt you when you call

If you feel in immediate danger from him, this is an emergency, so please call the Police - 000.

IHugzies

mmMekitty

Hello UrNoTaLoNe91

In a similar situation as Vmv?

Please follow the same advice I've given Vmv.

People have no right to treat others, whether married, living together, family or friends, older or youngerr - they have no right to treat you with such disrespect.

Hugzies

mmMekitty

I am sorry to hear that you are going through a similar situation. Thank you for being there for a community member at the sme time as you are experiencing your own hardship. 1800 Respect is an service that can guide you through the steps to identify and possibly leave an abusive situation. We have been in contact with the original poster here as well. I thank you again, I wish you all the strength that you need to get through this and please be kind to yourself.

Sophie M

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Vmv

I'm so glad you've come here and have already met some truly beautiful people who care so much about you in the way of support, friendship and guidance. You deserve all that, especially as you grow a little person inside of you.

I think sometimes when something is pushing us to constructively find fault or faults in a relationship (so as to fix them), we can end up being led to believe so much is our fault when it's actually not. If someone says 'The problem is you're super sensitive', that's not our fault. It relates to our ability to sense what's wrong (feeling harm in words directed towards us, feeling oppressive or depressing behaviour from others etc). Due to their insensitivity, they can't feel the harm. If someone says 'If you weren't so challenging we wouldn't have a problem', being challenging can relate to our ability to challenge someone to change their depressing or degrading ways. If someone says 'You just don't listen' sometimes this relates to our ability to detach from the kind of words that can be so wounding and deeply depressing. The ability to tune out from what brings us down is, in fact, a great ability at times. If a person says 'Stop back chatting me', such back chat may simply involve our ability to offer reason behind everything we do and say. Technically this makes us a highly conscious reason able or reasonable person. Some people just don't want to listen to reason and that's not our fault, it's theirs.

Sounds like your husband is lacking in a lot of abilities that you really need him to have, when things aren't necessarily going his way. The ability to listen to your reasons, to sense your feelings, to give you the freedom to connect with friends when you really need to are just a few of the abilities he does not have. For some reason he also does not appear to have the ability to manage his manipulative and controlling nature, replacing it with a more open mind and loving heart. Every relationship involves self development and it sounds like he has little desire to develop himself beyond what suits him. He has little desire to push himself to change. You may be the one doing most of the changing.

To become fearless enough to gather a support group for yourself may be incredibly challenging but it's just so important. He doesn't need to know about your personal support group. I imagine if he knows about it he'll soon put a stop to it. This group or circle might include a family member, a friend or 2, someone who's brilliant at financial planning (if you decide to leave), some of us here, someone from the RESPECT line and so on. I think, at the end of the day if you can say 'He's absolutely amazing as long as I'm behaving myself in all the ways he wants me to or tells me to' then that means you're moving further and further away from being you. To gradually lose our self can be so heartbreaking. If he would much rather you live broken hearted than live with the freedom to be yourself, I would be questioning whether this would also be his choice for your child. Btw, if he inherited his faults from one of his parents or the influence of friends, this is something he needs to address.

You're a beautiful person Vmv. Stop doubting yourself so much. My greatest concern relates to how far he would go to express or vent his rage, such as in the case of you choosing to tolerate less from him and stand up for yourself more in the process. In this case, abusers will shift the fault to suit themselves, often saying 'She/he pushed me. It wasn't my fault'. Love yourself enough to give yourself permission to begin establishing your support circle, one that will come to be there if you feel you have to suddenly leave. ❤️

Juliet_84
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Vmv,

The behaviours that you describe are characteristic of domestic violence and certainly echo my experience in a DV relationship. My ex partner would also terrorize and intimidate me and lock me in the apartment and take my belongings so that I couldn’t call anyone or leave, leaving me feeling very trapped. He too then had this alternate personality where he was lovely and generous and kind, it’s known as love-bombing and is used as a manipulation technique to keep you constantly confused. But spoiler alert, someone who is kind and loving wouldn’t also lock you in your house or take your money. If you want to stay in this marriage and see it out, I would make sure you have a very good support network and don’t let him isolate you from them (he will definitely try) because his behaviors will invariably escalate. Sadly, he also won’t stop them when you are pregnant, if anything they will likely increase because he knows he has you in a position where it’s harder to leave. But just remember, you are never trapped, you can always leave this person. Even if you decide to have your baby, there are plenty of single mums who make it work. It’s not easy but either is this life, take it from someone who lived it for 20 years. There are also DV services that can yank you out of that situation if you so choose. I understand you may not feel entirely comfortable using them but just know that they are there and are very familiar with this type of thing. 

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Vmv, this is not how a marriage should be like, especially when you are 12 weeks pregnant and whether it's called emotional abuse is not for me to say, however, I can suggest that it certainly is controlling your marriage.

It really doesn't matter whether he's good at particular times, because the negative reaction would be in control, as you're not sure when this will once again happen.

There could be a fear that as the pregnancy develops over time, his demands may become stronger and that's certainly a worry you need to think about.

If you feel trapped and confused that's a concern that needs to be taken into consideration, and I could suggest couple counselling but normally someone like your husband does not want to be ridiculed by another person and probably won't accept in having it, which means are you able to go and live with your parents, but be careful when he says 'he's going to change' because this might happen for a week or so and then go back to how he was.

Your concern is valid and if you can please get back to us, that would be great.

Geoff.

Life Member.