FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is there really support out there?

DadForever
Community Member
My son is suffering ADHD & ODD. He expresses anger and aggression, breaks stuff and refuses to seek help. I have access to free help and counselling for him, but his refusal to help himself is really causing both my wife and I severe anxiety and depression. I refuse to kick him out and let him go down on his own, but he keeps getting in more trouble. The authorities are useless and I am at my wits end trying to help and unable to deal with the A&D it is causing me. Just putting him in jail will only make things worse for him and will not help his situation.
1 Reply 1

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi DadForever

Welcome to the bb forum and thank you for sharing your story. I know it takes courage to post for the first time, so well done to you.

You have arrived at a unique place of non-judgemental support and I know there are many people here who will want to reach out to you. All of us have lived mental health experience of one kind or another.

Your pain is palbable. So is your love for your son. I am so very sorry for you and your family. I know how hard it is to watch someone you love struggle. I also understand the impact this is likely having on you and your wife.

I have cared for a teen with a mental health condition (anxiety and OCD) for five years and it's tough going. The most important thing I can tell you is that you must look after yourself right now.

I'd like to suggest that you make an appointment to see your GP to talk through how you are feeling, as I am concerned about your mental health. You need to look after yourself in order to have the strength to look after your son.

I also encourage you to take time to do things you enjoy each day and to eat and sleep well. A daily walk will help to clear your mind and lift your mood. If walking is not your thing try cycling, swimming or whatever suits.

It's not easy to encourage someone to seek help when they're not cooperative. I'm sure that you are doing your best. There are great materials on the bb website about talking to teens and initiating conversations with people we are concerned about.

Are you able to say how old he is? No pressure, but it would help to know if he's a child, teen or adult. Also, why do you think he's refusing to seek help? Knowing this will help us to tailor our advice. Post any time.

Kind thoughts to you and your family