FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

i think my husband is suffering from depression.

Gur
Community Member
Hi, i am new to this website.
I am here to ask that who do i approach if i think my husband is suffering from depression?He denies to seek any medical help but the way he behaves are typical signs of depression. But how do i convince or make him to get treatment if he does not even accepting it? I can tell because i am from Nursing profession so can tell that something is right. But i am stuck and have no where to get him treated. I do have two kids and all other responsibilities but i think my husband's mental health is making me very concerned!! Please help!
2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi Gur,

Welcome to our friendly online community. We are grateful that you have reached out here today as we know it can be tough to do this for the first time. We are sorry to hear that your husband is displaying symptoms of depression. We can understand that you would be feeling concerned. Please know that you do not have to do this alone. Many in our community have had similar experiences, hopefully a few of them will pop by and offer you some words of wisdom.
You might be interested in the following Beyond Blue online resources: "Talking to someone you are worried about" -
https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/have-the-conversation/talking-to-someone-you-are-worried-a...

"Supporting someone" -
https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/supporting-someone

In the case your husband is more willing to seek help over the phone, MensLine Australia is a free 24/7 telephone and online counselling service for men with emotional health and relationship concerns. You can contact them on 1300 78 99 78 or https://mensline.org.au/ Please feel free to keep us updated on your journey here on your thread whenever you feel up to it.

Jesicca
Community Member
Hi Gur,

The resources that Sophie_M has shared are a great place to start. Let us know if you seek further advice.

I also think it is important to be patient with someone who is experiencing depression symptoms. It can feel scary to have your loved ones notice these things in you and you can almost feel like a disappointment or a failure for letting them down when they point out your symptoms to you. Let them know that you are asking them how they are feeling from a place of love and support.

In the mean time could you suggest some hobbies or tasks that you could do with him and your kids? Maybe plan a weekly movie night or a Sunday hike out in nature as a family. Maybe you could have a date night each week or do something with him that you know he loves even if you don't love it that much yourself. It is great to give people experiencing these symptoms something to look forward to in my own experience and it is great to have a sense of routine and commitment to this kind of support.