FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I think I'm married to a narcissist

MRSFLETCH
Community Member
I supported this man for two years then we got married and he's trying to control me tell me what to do, yells at my kids constantly, uses harsh names when telling at us. He is always right, no one else's opinions or ideas matter in his eyes they are all idiots.
No remorse for the court system hes dragged us through.
He works when he wants, plays xbox the rest of the time.

I bought the home we are in with my money. He came into this relationship with absolutely nothing.

I need help

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hey MRSFLETCH,

Welcome to the forums, we are really grateful that you decided to reach out and share your journey with our community here. We're so sorry to hear that you're feeling so low due to what's happening in your family at the moment. It's uderstandable that you'd be feeling concerned when feeling like he is controlling you, and hearing harsh names being used towards you and your children. Please know that you never have to go through this alone, and our caring members are here to offer their support and advice to help you during this really difficult time.

We would also recommend reaching out to an organisation called Relationships Australia, who are available on 1300 364 277, and also through their website: https://www.relationships.org.au/ They provide relationship support services for individuals, families and communities and aim to support all people in Australia to achieve positive and respectful relationships. It may also be helpful to reach out to our friends at 1800RESPECT- the understanding, and supportive counsellors have a lot of experience offering advice to people in your situation, and are available 24/7 on 1800 737 732 or also through webchat at https://www.1800respect.org.au/

Thanks again for reaching out as we know that it can be really tough to do this for the first time. We hope that you find some comfort here in the words of wisdom and kindness that our community can offer. 

Guest909
Community Member

Hi Mrs Fletch

I don't think you have too many options. It's unlikely that he will change, but only you can assess if he will or he won't.

Purely from a legal and financial point of view, the sooner you separate the better. The longer the marriage lingers on, the greater the financial damage in the family law courts; if you know what I mean.

From the outside looking in, I don't think he's a keeper.

I wish you well!

Paul