FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm new here. Really need the help.

PurpleRed
Community Member
I'll try and keep this as brief as possible.

I have no friends (I don't mind that). My fiance is my best friend and we have a great relationship.

My family (or lack thereof) are nasty pieces of work who would rather see me homeless and fail in life than thriving and succeeding. My mother in particular has told me to "lower my standards" in terms of life and career. I don't think my aspirations could get any lower honestly.

I haven't had mental health issues for at least 5 years, until about 4 months ago when a call centre job and the nature of the calls really broke me.

Since then, I've struggled to keep work as I cannot focus. I have a constant threat of homelessness over my head. I won't have this share house after June 30th, and I mentally cannot handle sharing a house again.

I've been applying for new rentals with no luck. I don't have a lot of rental history. It is clean, but without any constant income, they cannot possibly rent to me. I don't blame them.

I've been down this road before of homelessness and trying to dig myself out. I had to do sexual favours and work with people who are unsafe to be around just to pay rent years ago. I refuse to do that again.

I can't go through this system again.

Before any of you make a suggestion: I have utilised all the free sources available to me that I can think of. I used the EAP when employed. I've used all my Medicare ones. I cannot go back on Centrelink, as I've (willingly) quit my other jobs. I don't want to go through the charity system of homelessness again. It's extremely demoralising and heartbreaking. Thanks.
1 Reply 1

monkey_magic
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi PurpleRed,

It sounds like you have been through the ringer. I have been in a situation similar to yours and I don't think homelessness is something you want to go through again.

I know you're saying you mentally cannot handle sharing a house again but it would be the silver lining if all else doesn't work out. For example living with two other females you get on with ( assuming you're female), living with a couple that give you plenty of space etc. It doesn'thave to be how its been. And it's so much better than homelessness.

I've also had a history of being with unsafe people and it's not a path I want to go down again. Im sure you dont either.

Not sure if I've been of any help to you but ive given you what i would do. Sorry if ive been unhelpful. Hopefully someone else can come up with something.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

MM x