FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I just need someone to talk to

DawnS
Community Member

Okay, my story isn’t as tragic or traumatic as some of the other people here’s, but yesterday my mother (48F) and I (12F) called the non-emergency line in our state to get an ambulance to come pick her up. She had really bad swelling on one side of her face, (her eye was swollen shut) and a cracking headache coupled with a ~38 degree fever (100.4 for Americans). She took all the headache tablets and fever tablets and cold-and-flu tablets that she could safely, but after about a day of this, she started throwing up whenever she tried to take another tablet. This had been going on since the afternoon we drove home from Brisbane (we drove home Friday, she had a sore neck Friday evening, Saturday she woke up with a bad headache and a really stiff neck, and Sunday the neck stiffness was gone but the swelling was really bad and so was the headache and fever). Once the ambulance got us to hospital, Mum was admitted into a temporary ward. The doctors, after administering a CT scan, diagnosed it as a skin Staph Infection (Cellulitis). We would have driven ourselves but due to a cataract years ago she can only really see out of one eye, and the swelling shut her good eye. She also couldn’t get her glasses on her face with the amount of swelling anyways. Later on yesterday afternoon (Sunday, and roughly 11pm), they transferred her into a proper ward so she was out of the emergency room. I was picked up by my aunt who then took me home, and I slept over at her place. I’m going home later this afternoon, but I’ll be home completely alone (It’s fine I’m a pretty responsible kid). I just got a text from Mum saying she’ll still be there for a few more days... which will probably include Christmas Day itself. I just really don’t know how to feel- I feel so alone already- I can’t even connect with any of my friends over anything- me and my BFF normally talk over email but she hasn’t responded to a single email since Friday...

please... I just want someone to talk to.

6 Replies 6

Guest909
Community Member

Hi Dawn

Welcome to BB.

For a 12 year old, your story is tragic and traumatic. That being said, you are handling the situation better than some adults.

The good new is, your mum is in hospital and getting the treatment she requires. The worrying news is, you should not be at home by yourself. Does your aunty know that your mother will be spending a few days in hospital. Can you stay with her while your mum recovers? You really need to be with someone at a time like this. Do you have any other family that can help?

Happy to talk!

Paul

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Welcome DawnS

I am really pleased you have reached out to get some support here and as Paul has mentioned, this is very traumatic for you. I hear you say you are very responsible but that is not the part in question here, although it is not ideal for you to be home alone, it is that you are feeling so very alone, with no one to support you or even just to hug you during a time when you are also very worried about your mum.

We are here to chat and to listen and to provide you comfort during this time that you are feeling really alone, it is a shame that your friends have not made contact back with you, this is hard also.

Like Paul mentioned, is your aunt in touch with you still? Can you stay with her?

Sending you big warm hugs and we are here with you if you want to chat some more.

Hugs

Sarah

Sophie_M

Hi DawnS,

We want to echo what Mr Paul and Aaronsis have said to you. We admire the bravery you have shown reaching out like you have and want you to know we are so grateful you have done so.

The qualified mental health professionals at our Support Service are reaching out to you by email as we are worried about you. Please feel free to call them any time day or night on 1300 22 4636. You might also like to speak to our friends at Kidshelpline: you can call them for free on 1800 55 1800 all day, everyday or you can webchat to them 24/7 via: https://kidshelpline.com.au/get-help/webchat-counselling

Please keep reaching out and letting us know how you're getting on whenever you feel up to it.

Guest909
Community Member

Hi Dawn

Just adding to what has been said, if you need to talk to someone, have you tried the "kidshelpline". They can be contacted on 1800 55 1800. Alternatively, google "kidshelpline".

Sometimes it's better to talk over the phone; but that is up to you.

Paul

DawnS
Community Member
Hey guys, sorry for not responding very quickly- I kinda got swept up in things and forgot about all this. Turns out I misunderstood, and my aunt just took me home to grab some clothes and stuff then took me back to her place. Mum got out of hospital on Christmas Eve and we’ve been home since. Thank you guys for the support, and sorry for not responding earlier- you must have been pretty worried! 😅

Guest909
Community Member

Hi Dawn

We all love a happy ending!

Look after yourself; and you mum.