FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I have nothing to say

Anon54321
Community Member

As the title says.

I'm very lonely, and want to connect with others but I just find myself having nothing to say ever. I can't talk for a few minutes but then I just go blank. I have no genuine interest in what people say either, and I feel like I have lost any spark I had to having a meaningful conversation with others. How can I become interested, engaged and have more things to say? I really need help. Even this post does not convey my situation properly, I'm just lost.

8 Replies 8

Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi, i seem to be in the same situation, which i know, is terrible. But since we're both lonely and want to connect as many others are in these forums, we could chat on here or other places if you're interested. Back to main topic, do you also have trouble paying attention or do you know exactly what they're saying, but not what it means? Good luck anyway, play video games or things like that, i find i make better friends with people i don't know.

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Anon,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear that you feel lonely and find it difficult to connect with others. Like ewrc, I encourage you to post back. Opening up on a forum may feel foreign at first, but it gets easier. This forum is very welcoming and friendly, and we are genuinely here to offer advice and to be supportive.

Do you know when you started finding it difficult to engage with others? Would you say you're a shy person?

Here are some resources that may be useful to save to your computer and refer to. While these resources were prepared for those struggling with mental illness, they still have useful tips for people without conditions such as anxiety and depression. If these resources aren't helpful for your situation, that's okay too.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=51 (asserting yourself)

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=47 (improving self-esteem)

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=40 (overcoming shyness)

If you'd like to tell us some more about yourself and your situation, feel free to post back here whenever you like.

Best wishes,

Zeal

girl_interrupted
Community Member

Hi Anon, Welcome to BB. I have to say OMG, you sound just like me. I am (most of the time) lost for words, have very little interest in anything or connection with anyone due to long term depression and social anxiety. I probably cannot offer too much advice on this topic but I can at least to some extent relate to how you're feeling. As others have suggested, maybe try to join in or open up in other forums. There are so many and even reading a few others is insightful and might be useful to reach out to others or see things from another perspective, get new ideas on how to cope etc. I am frightfully withdrawn and have become so bitter and detached towards people from years of isolation that I've had enough and joined a few meetup groups. Life is getting shorter! Maybe you could give that a shot? Or look at what's available in your area for support groups. Alternatively, if you have a GP or therapist you can talk to, ask them if they can offer any advice. You tube/Google has some great resources too.

Take care and keep posting,

GI

Anon54321
Community Member

Hi Ewrc and thanks for the reply.

I do have trouble with attention, as my mind is filled with anxiety and worrying thoughts.

I have spent a long time in isolation and I have almost forgotten how to interact with people. I'm trying to reconnect with some old friends but even those interactions are not going well. I just having nothing to talk about. I haven't done much apart from work for the past few years, and I cannot even talk about that much because I don't even have much of a passion for what I do anymore.

Hi Girl,

I feel similar. Bitter and withdrawn. It's like I hate people because I am not connected with them. I've watched countless videos online regarding social anxiety, anxiety, depression etc. None of which have been much use to me. I might look into joining some groups, Although it makes me feel a bit humiliated to have to do that.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Anon,

Do you interact much with the people in your work place?

Could you start up conversations with people there. Ask them what they are doing on the weekend. How do they like the weather. Have they seen any movies lately they would recommend.

Joining groups is a great idea. It is one way to meet new people.

Some people like to discuss only one or two topics, others can chat about anything. We are all different.

Some days I can't think what to say either. By asking people questions, I don't have to think too hard about finding responses.

Where ever you shop , have a brief chat to who ever serves you. Some people may be up for it, others maybe not. At least it will give you an opportunity to have a go at conversation.

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools

jmn251
Community Member
If it helps I feel exactly the same. Just separated from wife and daughters. Can't read long posts. Feel empty with nothing to say. It's doesn't help you, but you are not alone.

Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
It seems as if your values have changed and become incompatible with your old friends. Even though common, is still a painful experience.