FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I feel like I'm not being listened to

RainyRae
Community Member

Hi. So both me and my partner are going through a tough time which is making things very difficult. I've been doing my best to help them with all of their stuff and giving them space when they need it but when it comes to me I feel like I'm not being listened to or getting the support I need. Obviously I don't want to lean on them or anything but whenever I say I need something they decide to do whatever the opposite is. Like, they've promised to spend a day with me so we have some time together but they end up deciding to hang out with someone else. I want them to see their friends but it feels like they're putting everyone before me and it's making it kinda hard to trust them.

Today kinda broke me though. They once again promised to spend the day with me but when they came home they told me they've decided to go to Bathurst to spend a week with someone else and that they had to pack everything right now and wouldn't give me 5 minutes to talk about it.

While they were packing they told me they just needed a week away to think about things and to have a break of Sydney.

It's been about 10hrs since they've left and I haven't heard a word from them even though I've sent them a couple of messages asking how the trip is and if they've gotten there safe. They do tend to ignore my messages even when it's important but will respond to messages sent by friends in group chats we're in. I guess I feel kinda hurt and upset by it cause again it just feels like they're putting everyone else before me even though I'm their partner.

Idk how to deal with this but I know we both don't want to break up while we're in this mindset.

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

A similar thing occurred with a friend of mine. Her partner arrived home and packed straight away and told her he had a fishing trip organised with 2 mates and "sorry I have to go". She reminded him she booked tickets to the cinema for that night and as he walked past her discounting the comment, she grabbed her bag and hopped into the car before he even realised. He asked her what she was doing... "I'm going fishing, it'll be great fun". After a few minutes arguing and her standing her ground he admitted he wasnt going fishing after all. He stated he just wanted a break for 2 days. In fact she found out the next week he was having an affair.

Let's hope that isnt the case here. Either way whatever the situation you do indeed deserve better treatment. 

I suggest you book in for a couple counsellor. If her refuses to attend meetings there then attend yourself, but, if he asks how the meeting went dont answer in detail because he has the opportunity to go along with you next time.

I hope that helps.

TonyWK