FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I dont feel safe in my home right now

Nattttttt
Community Member

I don't feel safe right now. I don't want to delve into it too much but I have a lot of evidence that my sibling is planning on or is strongly wishing to harm me, which will result in something bad happening to me, or me getting kicked out. I suspected for a while they were manipulating evidence to paint me as the 'bad one' but literally tonight I discovered they are twisting evidence in order to worsen the situation. And that scares me.

I feel so sick thinking about it and the confrontation that will happen soon either today or this week, is killing me.

I have no where else to go, I desperately need some of the commodities in my home, such as the computer, since it has my university assignments on them (and it's not something I can easily copy into the cloud, the machine is set up for the assignments).

Although my parents are 'book smart', they don't really understand conversations and situations, so if I tried to describe or explain something they don't really get it. And that scares me since the sibling can easily manipulate them.

I feel really scared and sick. I've mentally prepared an escape route from my room if things get to an escalated level of violence (which I hope it doesn't because how am I going to 1 v 3). I'm so scared my hands have been numb and shaky for hours. I have no friends to go with, and no where to go since I'm not technically homeless or experiencing assault. I wish I could have a 24/7 body guard. It's 3am right now so I have time before the day comes to think of something.

I'm not in the position to drop everything and escape, since my uni will get screwed over. I also am not in the position to fight since I would definitely lose and probably die as a result. I would like to calmly have a civilized conversation and come to a good consensus - but let's be real on what planet does that go down well??

My current plan is to lock myself in my room and never come out unless I need to use the escape route.

I need help. What do I do?

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hey Nattttttt,

Thanks for reaching out tonight. 

We're so sorry to hear life is tense at home and that you're uncertain about your safety. We're trying to get in touch with you privately to check in with your well-being. We'd also urge you to talk your experiences through with our Support Service, our mental health counsellors can offer some support, information and referrals: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport or 1300 22 4636.  Please know that our wonderful community is here to offer as much support and advice as you need and that you've come to a safe space to talk about these thoughts and feelings.

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
If what you have done is so terrible, then it would be prudent that your parents hear it from you first. This will give you more credibility and take the wind out of brother's puffery.
Although parents may not fully understand the real world, it is up to you to express the situation in terms they will follow. Taking ownership of the problem yourself will identify a maturity to accept consequences and not simply run away every time.
Maybe it will be unpleasant at first, but whatever you do now could be setting a precedent for how you choose to account for yourself in the future.