FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Husband's priorities

ericamaria90
Community Member
My husband walked out me 6 months ago, a week before I gave birth to our first child (who was planned). His reasonings were because he said he didn't know how he felt about anything/everything anymore, this included me. He didn't want to talk about it and just said it was over. I have recently discovered that his family is the reason behind our separation. I would never expect my husband to choose between his family and me/his son, but it is heartbreaking to know that he has allowed them to come between us and destroy the family he created with me especially when our family was just about to start. Every time I try to talk to my husband about his priorities and how his immediate family (our son and I) should come first before anyone else on the outside and for us to sit down and talk, he gets defensive. I don't know what to do anymore. For the last 6 months I have been trying to save our marriage and our little family but to my husband we are just easy to dispose of and he couldn't careless. Whenever it comes to him seeing his son, which he has barely seen, he would rather go see his parents than his own son. I don't know what to say to him anymore to try to get him to realise what he has thrown away because he couldn't put his family priorities In order. I am at my wits end 😞
1 Reply 1

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Erica,

Welcome to the forum!

I am so sorry this happened to you - that is really rough. Good on you for having the courage to post here. Your husband leaving you at such a critically important time was really unfair of him. His family sound manipulative, to influence your husband to isolate himself from you. To be honest, I feel that allowing there to be space between the two of you might be a good idea for now. You have been emotionally available and trying to work out your marriage, but he isn't meeting you halfway. Do you have a family member or close friend who you can spend time with? It's really important that you have social and emotional support.

If you ever need to talk to someone understanding and knowledgeable, you can call the 24/7 beyondblue helpline on 1300 22 4636.

You are very welcome to post back 🙂

Best wishes,

SM