FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Husband had affair. Left us. No income. Very alone.

Beesley68
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've been suffering depression and anxiety for years due to traumatic events and losing my parents. I'm 47 and have a 15 year old son. My husband had not been coming home after the football on weekends, drinking a lot and then left us last year for another woman and her family. He has lied about everything and is now wanting a divorce (she is pressuring him) and wants to sell the house. I haven't been able to work due to my depression. I have no qualifications. I'm seeing a psychologist and they have suggested anti-depressants. I'm reluctant to try them. I have no job and worry constantly about how I will support my son and I. How can I pay the bills, a mortgage and feed us. We also have two dogs. I have no family support and am pretty much alone. I can't believe that a person can do this after 20 years. And how he could leave his son and put himself first. I know I have to move on. Most nights I have bad dreams and then don't sleep. I wish I wasn't alive but I love my son and wouldn't leave him. I worry about being homeless and not being able to look after my son. 😞
4 Replies 4

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Beesley, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of your situation. It must seem overwhelming at the moment. Blows like that when we are already struggling with mental health can really send us down eh?

Sometimes just talking things through can help us break down what seems like one huge issue into smaller ones that are easier to deal with one by one. It looks to me like you've got some powerful emotional issues and some practical issues to address.

It's good you are seeing a psychologist. Have a think about their suggestion of antidepressants, they might help you at least get through the worst of the emotional feelings - the anger, hurt, resentment - and help you not spiral down further in your depression. ADs don't have to be forever.

As for the practical issues, my thinking is you should not make any big decisions (like agreeing to sell the house) while you are feeling this way. You need to approach this with a clear head, and some good advice.

Make sure you know your legal position before you do anything! You can get free legal guidance from various organisations - depending on what state you are in you might qualify for legal aid. Do some googling - you don't have to pay an expensive divorce lawyer but you do need legal advice. Then you can discuss the practical matters with your husband from a position of strength.

As for income, he is obliged to pay child support - look at the Child Support information on the Department of Human Services website. Also look at Centrelink's website for information on what benefits you might qualify for.

You're not alone hun, we are here to listen and help you sort through this. Keep talking to us.

Kaz

Beesley68
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thanks Kaz. Much appreciated. I'll be getting legal advice this week. Just trying to get through day by day.

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Beesley - just wondering how you're going today, sorry I missed your post yesterday.

I'm glad you're getting legal advice - at least that will give you the framework in which you can decide what else has to happen. And sometimes being busy with practical things can be a good thing while our minds and emotions are still processing the enormity of the change we're facing.

How's your son? Tricky age, but he would probably not be the first in his peer group to go through this. I hope he's coping OK.

And are you looking after yourself? Eating properly, sleeping etc? It's easy to let those things go when we're distressed but they are necessary for strength and resilience.

Hope to talk again soon hun.

Kaz

Hey Beesley

You're not alone. You said it yourself. Day by day for now. And you will handle it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying anti depressants to help you get through this. Try going for lots of walks if you can. Small regular meals. Please keep checking in, there are some lovely people here.