FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to help

hunleyarm
Community Member
My partner of 6yrs has asked for space he lost and confused on what he wants.

We have had alot happen recently not between us but with his family and work. It has built up and he has imploded.
I asked 2 things for him to see a dr as i can see he needed help amd to see someone to talk to. He has done both. He is now on anti-depressants and has had 1 counselling app so far. Im now lost. I dont know how to help. We are now living apart and have a 3yr old and 6 month old.

He has good days and bad and i always got hugs from him except for yesterday. Some days he wants to work on us some days he doesnt know.

I know he needs time to get through what ever he may be dealing with. But i dont want to loose him and some days i feel like i am.

How do i help him wothout being pushy without hurting him otlr myself in this process. I am struggling with it all as it was sudden. I didnt see it coming.
3 Replies 3

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hi Hunleyarm,

I'm sorry you.are having to deal with this. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Getting medical help and professional therapy is really important. Remember it can take up to 6 weeks for antidepressants to start working properly
Maybe he needs more time and a few more counselling sessions to figure it out.

How are you coping being on your own suddenly with 2 young children? Do you have family or friends around to support you?

Your mental health is just as important as his. If you are struggling, it might help to talk to someone yourself.

And of course these forums are always here when you need them.

Jess

i am not coping very well at all i have gone on leave at work to give myself some time to process. I started seeing a councillor myself so far only 1 session. both of our families are in another state and with what is happening in the world it is not an easy feet to go see them with border closures

I have asked him if it ok for a few days to have some space of my own to try process without him being here day. I know it is going to be hard for him as i have our boys and i hope that this does not push him away. But i need him to see i need it as well.

So see how things go from here.

Hi Hunleyarm,

I think it's a good idea to some leave and some time for yourself. It must be so hard with all your family in another state, especially right now.

I hope your counselling sessions are helpful and that you find some time to process things for yourself and your sons.