FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to balance? Fifo/Working full time with two young kids.

NMD
Community Member
Hello, I’m a mother of two, both under the age of 5, I work full time and love my job, it’s something that’s always been “my” thing and something I’m good at outside of Mum life. My partner has got a fifo job, something he’s always wanted to do to get a good career and I support him 100%. He’s doing 3 weeks on and 1 week at home atm, and I’m truely finding it hard to balance my lifestyle. Has anyone got any advice? I feel I’m my own worse enemy, some days are good days but other days I’m just so tired I feel sick. I don’t have any family that can help me in a hurry, I only have my parents in australia and they live an hour away from me, I’ve learnt I’m truely by myself, I don’t have any friends, I’ve always worked full time so really I’ve never had the time to make “mum” friends but I honestly don’t know how and where I’d fit that into my lifestyle, I have no time to do anything and when I do I’m exhausted. I feel I shut people out because it’s a lot of effort for me to make the effort with them and I know that’s wrong but I just don’t know how to juggle it all.. any advice? Or anyone been in a similar situation?
3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi, welcome

Well, you are certainly- just existing and not "living.

When my kids were small I worked security, 12 hours on 12 off midnight to noon, noon till mifnight- not a life for me nor my family.

With your partner doing FIFO work I'd imagine income is very good? Then is there room for you to reduce hours to part time? Then you'd have the time to know other mum's and do sports etc.

Whatever your decision, family and your mental health is priority. Your situation is not sustainable so eventually they'll be consequences.

TonyWK

NMD
Community Member
Thank you Tony, I completely agree with you. I’m not living and the guilt I feel for my girls, my partner job is on contract that ends in a month or two, so it’s never certain when he will be in work again, I hope when he gets offered a full time job up there I’ll be able to take the work stress of me and stay home. But you are right somethings go to give

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

NMD

Thats fine. Feel free to repost here anytime you feel stressed. Realising your problem is half way to resolving it.

TonyWK