FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How do you become emotionally independent?

doed03
Community Member
I really do believe the cause of my low moods is from me being too emotionally dependent on people. I rely on them for my happiness, helping me through my problems, giving me validation and all that. And when I don't get the response I want, I start feeling hopeless and that no one cares about me etc etc.
Don't get me wrong, having support externally is not a bad thing, but I want to be able to be there for myself instead of relying on people for this support.
I just don't know where to begin.
1 Reply 1

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, and welcome to beyond blue. I not sure I have much to say as yet but want to ask you

Can you elaborate in what way you are emotionally dependent on people?

Except for the part where you reference others "helping me through my problems" I can identify with what you say. I am happy if others are happy. I feel that I suck up the negative energy, but have no where to release it. When I am down and try to contact someone and get no response, I have the same feelings as you. But I also have other tools from my team to help me through.

Are you also a people pleaser?

I am not trying to say that you have anxiety or depression like me, or need professional help. Being emotionally dependent on others, to me, is but one component of why our moods are as they are.If you want to chat some more, I will be here.

Tim