FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How can I help my partner with separation anxiety?

PsychedelicFur
Community Member

Hello everyone, it's PsychedelicFur.

Recently, I encountered an issue with my significant other which made me feel extremely drained and overwhelmed. I love my partner. He is kind hearted, affectionate, sweet and he treats me properly. 

However, he has very evident separation anxiety. He doesn't like leaving me to go back to his unit. He detests the place where he is living. And he is always so reluctant and hesitate to return to his 'home'. 

I spend hours reassuring him that I won't leave him permanently despite the fact I have to leave his house (when I stay over) due to personal commitments. Consequently, he gets really upset when I leave him and he does not like to be away from me for long periods of time. 

I understand and I can empathize with his suffering and feelings of loneliness and stress. 

I care about him deeply but I don't quite know how to assist him with his separation anxiety. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you very much, 

PsychedelicFur. 

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M
Hi PsychedelicFur,

Thanks for sharing this here and being proactive in seeking support. If you think it would be helpful, it could be worth reaching out to 1800RESPECT to get support with this. You can contact them on 1800 737 732 and they also have webchat here. They are experts in supporting people with their relationships and will listen in a kind, understanding and non-judgmental way.   If this is having an impact on how you're feeling day to day, so please know that there’s always someone here for you to talk it through with. The Beyond Blue counsellors are available 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or online, here.   

We’re sure we’ll hear from our lovely, supportive community soon. We are here to support you and you are not alone. Thank you so much for sharing here.

Kind regards,  

Sophie M