FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Help with divorced parents

SarahLulu
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi my name's sarah and I'm 16. I need some help. So basically my whole life my parents have been divorced but I need some help so I stay at my mums on weekends and my dads weekdays. Every second monday I have late start at school so I'd like to stay at mums place. My dads fighting me saying no our house our rules and wont let me stay at mums because he said weeknights he wants me there and for everyone under 18 but my step sister whos one year older stays at friends all during the week and they dont tell her off.

I feel they both want me to stay because then they get more money because of child support. My dad and step mum scare me a little should i be firm and say no im staying at mums or should i just say sorry to mum even though she'll be hurt and go to dads.

2 Replies 2

Nikkir
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi SarahLuLu,

Thank you for your post. Wow that does sound like a challenging situation for you and quite unsettling. Have you tried to talk to your parents about what you would like ? Do you have a support network around you people at school or someone you can talk to? You can always call us on 1300 22 4636, so please know that you are not alone. I think even if you could write down what you think is fair and how you would like things to work just for your own peace of mind. If possible it would be great if you could communicate your needs to your parents for your own wellbeing. I wish you all the best and feel free to let us know how you are going or if there is anything that we can do. Best Wishes Nikkir x

SarahLulu
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thank you Nikkir for responding.

Yeah I have a support network at school and also see a therapist and am on meds. If I were to tell them how it makes me feel and communicate my needs for my own wellbeing they would end up saying that I'm being manipulative and using my mental illness to get my own way.

They don't care what I feel only that they get there own way and they dont have to pay child support or they get more money. I feel like i'm being used for more money.