FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

He claims I am causing his depression - how can I help him?

Lexi22
Community Member

My boyfriend of two years spent six months on depressants, and has now been off them for three months after taking himself off them. When we first talked about his feelings he talked about his guilt, nine months later he explained to me fully that he feels i am the reason he is depressed. He says he cannot love me the way i love him, and all feelings of affection and sexual attraction have gone. He wants to feel this things, but is totally overwhelmed by everything that is going through his head.

Last night I asked him what i can do to help and he said to find someone else as he feels he is wasting my time. I LOVE him, he is a great person, and these outbreaks come out of nowhere, we had a fantastic weekend together before this conversation.

Does anyone have any advice? I feel his lack of libido is one of the things really frustrating him, and not feeling affection. What can help him with these things? Research tells me the medication and stress effects these things, he has agreed to go to couples therapy with me, but im worried these things are more medication related?

3 Replies 3

Quiettall
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Lexi

Couples therapy is a good move, but I would be thinking it worth taking him to the GP for a discussion about whether he should be referred for counselling to a psychologist. If he is on medication, these need to be reviewed firstly by the GP and whoever was the person who prescribed them.

This is a difficult situation for you and I really feel for you right now. Just take one step at a time, and dont let his feedback to you drag you down and question yourself. You obviously care deeply for him, which is honorable, but you need to take care of yourself, physically and emotionally and psychologically as well.

Keep posting here as there are others who will support you and provide valuable guidance based on their own personal experiences

Hi Lexi, welcome

Quietall has given sound advice as usual. Getting him to a GP is essential.

When someone has depression, axiety ussues it can effect ones libido as can medication. I know, it happened to me for a few years. Modern medication is amazing and if you plan your time together well then it can be rewarding. It will return his confidence.

Tony WK

Hi Tony

Thank you. I guess he is in the recovery part of his depression experience, he won't go back on medication again. When he took himself off the medication the GP said well done?! And told him to download an app for relaxation. I couldn't believe it. His current issues are the feelings not returning after he has stopped the medication.

What kind of solutions are there for the libido? Would herbal remedies help? It's the one thing that is really bringing him down and making him feel worse.

white knight said:

Hi Lexi, welcome

Quietall has given sound advice as usual. Getting him to a GP is essential.

When someone has depression, axiety ussues it can effect ones libido as can medication. I know, it happened to me for a few years. Modern medication is amazing and if you plan your time together well then it can be rewarding. It will return his confidence.

Tony WK