FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Girlfriend lives overseas - what do I do?

PauloF
Community Member

I’m from Australia and a girl from Germany come here on a working holiday. We hit it off pretty fast and cut a long story short we were dating while she was here. She then left to travel Australia for 2 months which we kept constant contact. When she come back nothing had changed and things had gotten better between us and we decided to try long distance. She has now been back in Germany 2 months and wants me to go visit her around September which is the time I could get off work. I’m worried about going to visit her because I’d have to stay at her family home with her parents and I’m not sure if they would appreciate that all that much. I plan to move to London within the next year to work for a while so we were going to keep the relationship going and then possibly look at other options in terms of moving to where the other one lives if we are still going strong. She insists she likes me a lot and really wants it to work and is pushing me to go over and I want to I’m just worried about such a big trip in case something goes wrong plus the massive cultural difference between Australia and Germany and the obvious fact I cannot speak German. Could someone please give me any advice. I really like this girl and feel a real connection. Thanks

4 Replies 4

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Paulo

Welcome to bb. Your story really resonated with me and took me back 30 years ...

I was a Canadian living in Canada, and feeling a really strong connection (something between lust and love!) with an Australian living in Australia. He invited me to come and stay with him and I was toying with the idea of a working holiday.

I had many of the same fears you have. I asked myself, what's the worst that can happen? I might have had to return to Canada disappointed but wiser. So what? Live and learn was my thinking. And, at least I'd have had the opportunity to visit Australia.

What really convinced me to take a chance was that I didn't want to live the rest of my life wondering what could have been. What if I missed out on the love of my life?

I can't tell you what to do, this has to be your decision. But I want you to know there is nothing wrong with taking a chance on love. And despite the cultural differences it can work out.

We have been married 30 years, have a wonderful family and life. Sure, there have been tough times, but I wouldn't change a thing. Not a thing.

Kind thoughts to you

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and give me the time of day to reply. I appreciate your advice and I think it will help me a lot so thank you

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi again

Your welcome. I think you're going to be just fine, no matter what you decide.

Feel free to post any time. Always happy to chat

Yeah l'd go , to hell with it , how old are you , you sound fairly young so at worst it could be one of many things you might do through life at best you two keep going hot and strong and one day , well, never know.

Dob;'t worry about language or cultural stuff , everyone will expect it , you can talk to your gf that's what really counts,

And yeah , l come from knowing a bit about this stuff too my ex was from San Francisco and flew many times across the world for us , and she was only 4'11. Sadly we couldn't work it out for other reasons butttt, nother story, no regrets .

Good luck anyway.