FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling unlovable

Munkygurl13
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I am 43 and have Bipolar. I have had a number of relationships none lasting longer than 3 years. The last relationship was in 2010. I have lots of friends and family that love me and support me. But when it comes to relationships I feel unlovable. I have a lot of males friends that care about me and the guys that I am interested in end up being friends. I just cannot find that one person who can love me for who I am. I don't go out searching for love, I don't need someone to make me happy, but I do want to find someone who is a friend and partner.

I am unemployed but take care of my self and have had to move back home with my parents for a while to save paying rent. I don't have any children as never in a relationship long enough & now I have endometriosis. I feel as though when guys hear these things they never actually try and get to know me or else they feel sorry for me.

I don't want someone to feel sorry for me or feel like they have to look after me. I can do that myself! I just want someone to love me.

3 Replies 3

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Munkygurl13

Welcome to the forums and good on you for posting too!

You are not on your own with relationships and mental illness. I hear you loud and clear. You only wish to have a special person in your life. I understand and with many years of anxiety followed by depression a relationship has been a difficult area for me as well.

Any relationship requires both sides to make an effort and sometimes we can be so mentally drained 'coping' and 'healing' our illness there are times when we are mentally spent making a relationship difficult.

Your post is a good one as many people with a mental illness do suffer the same as we do where relationships are concerned.

You are a strong and pro-active person with a lot to give. I really do hope that someone can see the qualities you have and can share in a loving relationship

Happy to have you as part of the Beyond Blue forum family MG 🙂 There are many kind people that can be here for you that also feel the same as you do

my kind thoughts

Paulx

Thank you for your response Paul. I am open and honest about my Bipolar and struggles over the years. For the first time in 43 year I feel happy and confident with who I am. Hopefully one day someone will see me for who I am. I have learnt to be happy on my own so that I can be happy in a relationship. 😊

No worries and thankyou for posting back too!

Munkygurl said:" I have learnt to be happy on my own so that I can be happy in a relationship." 😊

There is a huge amount of pro-active wisdom in your post. Very well said 🙂

You have a lot to offer. It would be great if you could stick around the forums (if you wish of course)

My Best

Paulx