FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling pretty lonely and depressed lately... Don't know what to do..

good_badays
Community Member

So this is my first post here, not really sure how to start this but I'll try and keep it brief.

My partner of about 9 months broke up with me a month ago and it was my first serious relationship, in which my anxiety and relationship/trust issues played a major part in that. I've been trying to cope with this in the best way I can; seeing a therapist, making plans for the future and using mindfulness approaches. But the hurt really isn't going away and while I have good moments, the bad ones are really bad.

Tonight (plus the past few nights) it's been really hitting my and I don't know how to deal with this type of rejection/loneliness. I don't have any hobbies I really take part in mainly because I can't create or have much skill in anything, so apart from going on the internet, it's been pretty difficult to focus on anything else.

I also have pretty bad GAD and depression when I get very anxious (not that I like using labels but just for context), so it kind of exacerbates how I feel and makes this whole loneliness feeling going around in my head.

Sorry for the long spiel and if I'm wasting your time, but if anyone could help or offer advice about any of this I would be so grateful. This is really the only place I can turn to (bar my therapist who I have to stop seeing soon). Thanks for stopping by and reading.

3 Replies 3

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums, you are definitely not waisting time we are all here to talk about this stuff.

I think we grieve when a relationship ends, I do. If I think back they are all there and I love them still, even the ones I told to go away. It can be good talking about all of that, and we will listen if you want to.

So hobbies are not a big thing for you, that is the case with a fair few people, I'm wondering what distracts you, like for me I can spend hours reimagining my kitchen, it's small and I need to get the right design before replacing it.

If you just want to chat about stuff generally the community forum down the bottom of the list on the main page is the place for you (It's good distraction I find) and you are most welcome to keep talking about anxiety and how you are feeling post breakup here too.

If you need to talk to a person the beyond blue 24 hour number is worth a call, 1300 22 4636. They are there to listen and help through.

Im glad you are here on the forums.

Rob.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello, it's never a happy time when someone you love decides to leave you, and I think that someone has to be so strong so that it doesn't affect them, but the majority of people wouldn't be in this section.
The word 'hobby' maybe too extreme for you, because there might be some activities that you could be fond of doing, not all the time, so it can't be classified as being a hobby, but rather an interest, this actually happens with me such that I wouldn't want to do them all the time but every now and then.
You say 'trust issues' played a major part here, and we would love for you to talk about this if you want to, it may take a great deal of courage, but it's an anonymous site where no one knows who you are or what you look like, some of us post their photo, that's our choice, and we never expect anybody to post their own photo, so we hope that we can hear back from you. Geoff.

Apollo_Black
Community Member
Hey don't hate me for this - but exercise is good. Get out there and walk if you don't already. It's as good as a hobby as anything. Bushwalking even better. Exercise has just as much efficacy evidence for depression than most other therapies.