FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling overwhelmed

Anne29
Community Member

Hi,

Sorry for long post haven’t posted in a long while. I’m concerned about my husband who suffered a spinal cord injury almost 10 years ago. I have great concern for his mental well-being over the last year. Last week we had a fight regarding our relationship and how he is feeling. He mentioned that he was feeling very empty. He asked me top stop getting at 5.45 in the morning to work out at the gym because I am always tired. I am exhausted most night by the time I go to bed but I work Five days a week part time and have two very active children who have adhd who I also I have to run after. All children are challenging at time but my husband lashes out st my youngest son. Earlier this week my husband   was yelling at our son. He hasn’t actually hurt anyone I think it is just all the frustration builds up.

By the time I get to sit down at night I watch a little tv and then I am in bed by 9.30 at the latest. This leaves my husband sitting up by himself. In our fight he mentioned that he has no one to talk to at work and nothing outside of work.

Just recently he had a fall after attending the afl grand final and falling backwards and hitting his head landing him in hospital in Melbourne and needing stitches in the back of his head. This is not the first time he has fallen when being intoxicating. I have had to help him up from off the floor when he has fallen over after drinking. His left side of his body was affected during the accident and when he drinks too much he loses function on this side.

He want go and talk to anyone. I am feeling overwhelmed and scared.

1 Reply 1

Star_Jasmine
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Anne29,

That's a difficult situation for both of you and no doubt his issues are putting strain on your relationship. Sorry to hear you're feeling overwhelmed and scared.

It sounds like even though he said he won't get help, he probably should. Or couples counselling for both of you? Maybe try suggesting this again. Sometimes guys take a little while to come around...

I'm not really sure what else to say or what advice to give but just wanted to let you know that I am listening. I'm here if you need to chat.

Best wishes