FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling overwhelmed after rejoining workforce

SingleMum123
Community Member

Hello

I'm reaching out because I feel so overwhelmed right now. I just recently separated from my husband. I have also started full time work after having a long career break.

The work training is quite intensive and I don't get rest at home being a single parent.

My ex-partner is possibly autistic (based on my GPs opinion) and doesn't show me any empathy or much support.

I feel like I want to quit the job but I can't due to needing the money. I nearly cried at work today. It almost has been 2 weeks since I started and I'm already tired of the before and after school care pick ups and drop off's. My ideal thing was to find something part time and closer to home but had no luck.

I don't know where to come up for air.

please advise.

thanks.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi SingleMum123,

Returning to the workforce and being a single mum is definitely not an easy feat. Working full time must be especially hard for you and to not be able to get empathy from you husband must place extra pressure upon you. 

If you ever need to chat please feel free to call Beyond Blue Support Service. They are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals. 

It's great that you have turned to community for support. You do not have to deal with this alone.

Mr__Irrational
Community Member

It was always going to be a shock heading back after a big break up, and further compounded by being a single.

Just remember yourself that you are capable of doing this, you have the skills to do it. Training will be over soon, hopefully the work load is more manageable and you find a good routine with school pick ups and drop off's.

Don't stress that this isn't the ideal job (full time and far away), use it as a stepping stone until you find the job that suits you better.

Stay positive, small steps each day.