FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling Lonely And Isolated

Zonnekp
Community Member
I am married to a very good man and we have an adult daughter. My husband works long hours, sometimes also over the weekend to support us as I have been unemployed for the last 18 months. Our daughter still lives with us, but is busy with her studies and boyfriend. I look after the household. I am feeling lonely and isolated and do not have many friends, maybe because I am a quiet person. I recently tried getting into volunteering, but even that is not working out. I have a few Whatsapp friends who I message often and know that friendships take time to develop, but I crave actual friends.
3 Replies 3

Sparklemuffin
Community Member

I feel the same most of the time. How do you stop wanting attention from people who just want to be left alone? And by understanding that you start hurting because you feel left behind, forgotten or just not interesting enough.

I feel like that all the time but most of the time I busy keeping it all hidden behind busyness or entertainment. Then once in a while it refuses to hide.

A_League_of_One
Community Member

I'm the same, my hubby is away every other week and I've been unemployed for 3 years. I rarely have contact with family or the few friends I have. I also live remotely which doesn't help. I have way too much time inside my own head. Constant negative thoughts lead to anxiety and depression. My 2 dogs are the only thing that get me out of bed. I know I need to change things but that just causes more anxiety!

I keep pushing on one day at a time, hoping to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Mental illness is such a struggle. The mind controls everything so it's something that needs to be cared for. Tomorrow is a new day and the sun has to come out some time.

Hello and a warm welcome to the site.

You are correct when you say negative thoughts lead to anxiety and depression, so the outcome is certainly not good, so this type of thinking needs to be addressed and the hardest part is where or how do you begin.

The thoughts you are having may have slowly been building up dreading when your husband is about to go away for work, that's when they begin, but try and challenge them, and once you do this, you will notice how many of them are not real.

If you are practical then make a veggie patch, build a small aviary and if you're not, then organise a market day where other people can join in, or perhaps start a dogs walking group.

Best wishes.

Geoff.