FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling Isolated and rejected

JWren
Community Member
I've been struggling to deal with an abusive family member whose main issues revolve around abusing me financially emotionally and verbally. I was seeing a psychologist i thought i could trust and confide in but my sibling has isolated me from not just this person but the rest of my family through lies and distortion of the truth to suit her own agenda. Now I feel like I can't trust anyone and there's nobody I can talk to who will understand and not think I'm a terrible person. In my headd I know this doesn't make sense but I feel like I'm not worthwhile or loveable even when I know I've not done anything to cause this problem. The anxiety and depression caused by this situation is weighing me down bad and I don't know what to do.
5 Replies 5

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello JWren, a warm welcome and it's not easy to post your first comment but thank you for doing so.

To be emotionally as well as verbally abused is not a pleasant experience for you or anyone and I'm very sorry that you had to endure this.

From what's happened you aren't a terrible person at all, and it's a pity that any love, sympathy and co-operation from those around you have been blocked, just because of a sibling.

Can you contact your psychologist by phone, email or mail and talk with them, you need them to bring back your confidence, strength and start to rebuild the self-esteem that has been pushed away by your sibling.

Please trust us, we have all been through our own type of depression and we feel so sorry that this has happened.

Ask your psychologist on how you can protect yourself and perhaps block this person so you can continue loving those people you want.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

JWren
Community Member

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your advice. I think it's a matter of finding the right professional help and being able to do it in an environment where I feel safe to be myself and talk openly. I've struggled with self esteem and confidence since I was young and it's something I need to work on.

Cheers again, I very much appreciate you taking the time to respond.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi JWren, thank you for replying back to me, as I know myself I had to struggle until I found someone who was prepared to listen to what I had to say, eventually I did.

Under 'Get Support' you can scroll down until you see 'Find a professional', these doctors are aligned to BB and treat those who are suffering from a 'mental illness'.

You can also contact BB on 1300 22 4636 as well as SANE 1800 187 263

-/www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/

I want to help you through this and really hope you will get back to me.

I'm about to log off as I start very early in the morning (12.30 am), but will get back to you very early.

Please get back to me if that suits you as there are other contacts I can suggest.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

JWren
Community Member

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, had some things I needed to take care of.

I scanned through the list and there is so much more help available than I thought. Struggling with my problems alone has been a burden so it's great to know that so much support is out there.

Apart from my own personal problems there are other issues which I touched upon in my first post that need to be addressed. I'm still a little unsure of how to proceed and quite wary of the process but I am willing to try again.

Cheers

JWren

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi JWren, thanks for getting back to me.

In your first post, there is so much you had to endure, with your sibling telling lies, distortion of the truth only to discredit and seemingly blocking your family off, making you feel as though no one loves you, this is something that has to stop and realign you back with them.

It may seem to be an enormous job, but it's not what we want, it needs to be done slowly and at your own pace, this is where your psychologist can teach you how to build up your strength.

I'm also concerned about these financially abuse issues, and only if you feel comfortable talking about them, I want to try and help you, but there is much from what you have said that does worry me.

Take care.

Geoff.